This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electrolysis Before and After?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TOOLMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 90210

Postby TOOLMAN » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:08 pm

Peter
What is the fasthitch prong from?
3969 Members

1954 Cub quick hitch /Plow
1947 Ford 2N
1948 Green Machine Model M (i know)
Knowledge Is Power
and Power is Knowledge
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten."

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Peter Person » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:16 pm

I recall the description as having come from a tobacco implement of some sort. I bought it from Ralph back in January.
That's all I know.
I bolt my "rear bench seat" to it for the kid's to ride on.
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:30 pm

Looks like it came off a New Holand bacco planter probably of a 140
but just a guess
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:54 pm

Peter:

I just realized I missed your tank... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Now that is what I mean. There is always a different approach to making stuff. I like the base. Also, for those who do not have a nice smooth concrete floor, the pneumatic type tires with base plate mount can be used as an option.

I see you have Aaron - right? (I is :? as he is standing on the base...?) and Emily involved in stirring up the Witch's Brew :!: :wink: :!: Well done.. tell them the get an A++

I like your approach.. looking forward to your report on cleaning up after the zapping process. A family affair.. I likes it :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:07 pm

george wrote:I would have disposal concerns with that sludge if there is lead in any of the old paints. Does anyone know?
George

No one knows for sure, but I will tell you that it takes a lot of lead (a whole lot) to produce a soil issue. A trick I learned from my late uncle was to use the stuff that the state/township/and borough used as an anti-skid during the winter as a soil amendment. It gets crushed by the tires of the cars to a fine silt, and silt is sorely lacking in our soils around here. One year, and one year only, the tomatoes tasted bad. Uncle Joe took a soil sample from his compost heap (he always let his set for a year before incorporating it into the garden), and the PADA said that it tested high for lead. Joe talked to the borough guys, and they said that that particular year, they accepted ash from the cogeneration facilities which burn a mixture called culm (basically coal dirt).......hence the increased lead......He then took a tomato to the PADA, and they said it was fine.......just tasted lousy. The next year, enough lead had leached out of my soil that it was no longer a problem. The tomatoes tasted great again.

I don't know of any plant that picks up lead and distributes it into the plant tissues. Lead is also on the micronutrient list. Unless you're considering planting in an old skeet range, I'd say you're safe. Additionally, Lead Phosphate is a very stable salt, which, once created, usually does not break apart into its constituents again....just some thoughts.......

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Peter Person » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:52 am

Yep Rudi, I turned the whole thing into a science project for us. I printed off the article on electrolysis by Jim Becker from the Cub Manual Server plus the article from Bill's Antique Engines (http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp) and had them read them. The electrons and protons are a little above them right now (above me for that matter as well) but seeing with our own eyes what the articles describe as happening sure makes a world of difference. Plus, the added benefit of seeing a practical use for something that otherwise would only be words on a page. That's education at it's finest.
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:53 pm

Peter Person wrote: The electrons and protons are a little above them right now (above me for that matter as well) but seeing with our own eyes what the articles describe as happening sure makes a world of difference. Plus, the added benefit of seeing a practical use for something that otherwise would only be words on a page. That's education at it's finest.
Peter

Peter....

Make an electric spark for them....plenty easy to do.....then tell them that what they saw was an electron (or several).......

After doing so, explain that these sparky-things travel through wires under some sort of pressure, like water in a faucet, and that is what powers lights, TV's video games, and computers.

It's as good an explanation of electrons as you can give to a young person, and, for the most part is correct, from a practical point of view.

The only point in time when these conceptions need to be fine-tuned would be when studying particle-physics, as a high-school senior, or later in university, and at that point, they also use an electric spark as a demonstration. Since you are home-schooling, getting them familiar with electrons as sparks is not a bad thing. You may have to repeat the experiment for them later, in a different context......... :D

--Tom

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Peter Person » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:48 pm

After four (4) days in the Soup Pot with several cleanings of the rebar, this is what the fast hitch prong looks like. The rust that you see is easily wire brushed off leaving a flat black patina.

All in all a successful first shot.
Thanks to everyone for there help, especially Rudi and Cecil.
Peter

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:57 pm

Peter:

That looks wonderful. Now that nice black patina that appears after you brush the rust is what it is supposed to look like and it will stay that way until you decide to paint it :!: More pics, PLEASE SIR :!: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:21 pm

That's what all the parts look like when they come out. Easy to get ready to paint. Just wipe down with some thinner and go at it. :lol:

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:59 pm

400lbsonacubseatspring wrote:
george wrote:I would have disposal concerns with that sludge if there is lead in any of the old paints. Does anyone know?
George

I don't know of any plant that picks up lead and distributes it into the plant tissues. Lead is also on the micronutrient list. Unless you're considering planting in an old skeet range, I'd say you're safe. Additionally, Lead Phosphate is a very stable salt, which, once created, usually does not break apart into its constituents again....just some thoughts.......

Bio-availability of metals in soils depends on soil pH and soil composition - particularly the organic and clay content - and the plants being grown. Preliminary studies have shown ragweed does an outstanding job of bioacculumating lead but disposal of the ragweed crop becomes the next concern.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:13 am

Lurker Carl wrote:
Bio-availability of metals in soils depends on soil pH and soil composition - particularly the organic and clay content - and the plants being grown. Preliminary studies have shown ragweed does an outstanding job of bioacculumating lead but disposal of the ragweed crop becomes the next concern.

That's pretty fascinating, Carl. Might explain why ragweed does so well alongside roads.

Of course, ragweed is a noxious crop....perhaps more dangerous than the lead itself.......

Cutting it before bloom, of course, would minimize this......but as you say, what do you do with it?? Well, one could bale it, and use it as a mulch on floral farms.....as long as you didn't do it consistently......if it picked up enough, it could be burned and the ash smelted for the lead, I suppose....

Of course, all the business about lead is a bit of an overkill........I wholeheartedly agree that the removal of lead water pipes, and the removal of lead from paints was a good thing.......the two major vectors of high-lead levels in children. But, to have removed lead from plumbing solder, I think, was going too far.......In many cases the exposed solder in a plumbing joint was virtually nill.

DennisT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cleaner

Postby DennisT » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:08 am

Rudi:
Great article on the cleaning tank. Today is the first time I have ever seen such a set up.

Questions:
1. Your re-bar rods: are they just set through the plastic tank lobes and held with the cable clamps? Looks that way. (removable for cleaning)

2. What kind of charger is running this? Simple car battery charger? Amperage?

3. I can see in your power box, the positive buss leads go to each of the anodes/rods. Your single lead from the negative buss goes to where?

Thank you for your contributions. I need one of these tanks.

Dennis - a new guy here................

DennisT
10+ Years
10+ Years

my questions

Postby DennisT » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:13 am

OK. I found the other pages here, with additional photos. I see hot lead to part-to-be-cleaned, negative leads to re-bars suspended in solution. So there's the circuit.

Dennis

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Re: my questions

Postby George Willer » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:17 am

DennisT wrote:OK. I found the other pages here, with additional photos. I see hot lead to part-to-be-cleaned, negative leads to re-bars suspended in solution. So there's the circuit.

Dennis

No, Dennis, Sorry that's backward. The red lead goes to whatever you use for an anode and the black goes to the part to be cleaned.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”