This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Grille screen

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Grille screen

Postby Bus Driver » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:14 pm

This is mentioned in other threads, but scattered within them. I need some grille screen and have noticed the posts about it being 5 squares per inch. I checked two of my tractors with surprising results. My 1960 Cub has the 4 -bar grille. The screen in it is in poor condition. It does have 5 squares per inch with wire size of about 0.025. The wire appears to be galvanized and may not be the original- I did not remove the grille from the tractor. That screen is rather weak. My 1950 Cub has what I believe to be the original grille- the previous owner had discarded almost everything that is not absoutely essential. It has 4 squares per inch with wire size of about 0.050- strong stuff. I have a 1948 that is not stored nearby. I was going to order screen in bulk for my needs. What now?
Luck favors those who are prepared

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:25 pm

I believe it was OEM tractor, or maybe Steiners, that sells the correct wire screen. They even have it for the early 47 cubs. We bought some and replaced it on one of Dad's M's. Brandon.

george
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby george » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:42 pm

McNichols Co (http://www.mcnichols.com) has everything in screen sizes and diameters.
George

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:07 pm

Steiner's sells the correct 5/in screen which would be original for the 3 tractors... even the '50. It's a bit pricey, but the square yard (I think that's how they sell it) would be enough for 4 Cub grilles. From here it's hard to tell if the grille on the '50 was completely fabricated or the screen simply replaced.

At one time the original screen grilles weren't available so IH provided the 4 bar grilles as a replacement... so the story goes. Maybe the PO resisted?

I don't like spending money (either mine or yours) where it isn't necessary but I think the repo grilles that are like your '50 would be a better deal than putting new screen in the old frame.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:33 am

I bought my 5 squares per inch wire mesh from Steiner's for $19.95 and it was enough for 2 grilles. Very satisfied.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:51 am

Steiner's current catalog notes that their screen is 2' x 3'. I might buy that for my needs. But some questions remain. First, I wonder about the wire size used in the Steiner screen. Can someone measure the wire with a caliper and post here? That would be helpful to me and very much appreciated. I again looked at the grille on my 1950 Cub. It is the correct style for that tractor. The 4 squares per inch mesh in it was definitely installed at time of manufacture. The wire is really heavy, 0.050. The mesh assembly is captured by the rolled-over metal flange and the flange is spot welded from the back. I like the looks of that grille and can use rubber hammer and needle nose pliers to make it look good again. But the other posts make me doubt that this is IH original. Any chance that it is original?

My 1960 has the 4-bar grille, which is my favorite look of all the Cubs. I assume that is the correct style grille for the 1960. The screen in it is really flimsy and is damaged, requiring replacement. I definitely want heavier wire than 0.025.

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:53 am

By caliper it is .026. This picture is what is left after doing one grille. There is a little more than enough to do one more.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:37 pm

Thanks to Merlin for the information. I now am definite that I will keep the 1950 grille as-is (4-per inch) due to the really heavy wire. I do not find the appearance to be bad at all. I did not find a suitable wire at McNichol, but perhaps their listings just confused me. McMaster Carr has a heavier 5-per inch mesh that is considerably higher cost than Steiner.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:06 pm

Today I checked 3 more Cub grilles. Some surprises!! My 1948 has 6 openings per inch with 0.050 wire. It looks original, but I cannot confirm at the moment. I checked two others belonging to a neighbor. I did not verify the year and serial numbers for myself. The one he says is a 1951 was purchased new by his father. He says the grill is absolutely original. It has 4 openings per inch and wire size of 0.075- hefty stuff! The one he says is 1952 has 4 openings per inch with wire size of 0.060. Looks as if IH used more than one supplier for the grille mesh. Perhaps IH periodically bought on the basis of bids from potential suppliers. I use dial calipers on the wire.
More observations would be interesting.

Return to “Farmall Cub”