This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need help w/ '50 Cub value... have picture

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Hengy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:02 pm

Welcome, Creto!

If that tractor were closer to me, and if I could wrangle out the money from my better half, I would buy the tractor. Yep, it needs a ton of work, but that is what I want...one which needs to be torn down and put back together.

The "mutt factor" makes it even more intriguing to me!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:36 pm

john2189 wrote:
Merlin wrote:The right tire needs turning around. If I were buying it, it would be worth about $700.00, and if I were selling it, it would be worth about $200.00. Thats the way it goes here in my area.

Merlin,

You buy it and ill buy it off of you!!!!! :lol:

Being a high crop, it is worth more than a regular Cub, but I have sold regular Cubs in that condition or better for as little as $300.00 with belly mower. The one in this picture I sold a couple of months ago with a fresh overhaul and 100% original as it came from the factory with 100% of the standard equipment and everything worked. The guys here on the board helped me through some rough spots with it. I set it out front with a $2000.00 price tag and this old man stopped and offered me $1500.00 so I told him he was the proud owner of a restored Cub. Then he told me he didn't have all the money right then, but I let him take it anyway with a handshake to bring me the rest of the money the following month. Well, the following month came and went and the phone number he gave me is no good and nobody where he lives has ever heard of him. Thats ok by me though, because I saved it from a scrap yard. It hurt some that he reneged on a hand shake though.

Creto
10+ Years
10+ Years

I've settled

Postby Creto » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:48 pm

I'm puttin a price of $1500 on it. I don't know what to say about the mutt factor. Are you guys telling me that box casting under the hood could not have a much different casting # than the engine and trans? Also, I forgot to mention that one of those numbers was hard to read and I might have it wrong. The owner was a professor at Newark Acamady and the teachers rolled it out on the stage and gave it to him at his retirement party. Pretty good present. Not sure how long ago that was. It's going to my business partner and he will give it a very good home. He's really excited. About the high crops; I'll give him all your info and he can deciede if he wants to sell the wheels.... Thanks for all the help and I'll post pics when it's back in action. C.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:59 pm

the phone number he gave me is no good and nobody where he lives has ever heard of him

Boy oh boy Merlin. I can't believe there are people in this world that "LOW". What I wouldn't give to have a GPS chip mounted in the cub someplace. Man, that urks me.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:22 pm

Yeah, that stinks, Merlin. Nothing worse than a scumbag thief. :evil:
That's what 45's are made for :twisted:
Kirk

CUBS:
'49

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:37 pm

Merlin: You're waaaaay tooooooo nice a guy !! A friend of mine has a favorite saying "no good deed goes unpunished" !! Why not post the s/n here and let's see if it turns up somewhere. Craig

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:26 pm

I would be lying if I said the money don't come in handy, but that is not what I do things for. I grew up poor right along with a lot of other people in my neighborhood (we were about the richest) and we actually had to trade for things to eat. One neighbor might have some syrup, another cornmeal, another something else etc., etc., and we would trade to have a variety of things to eat. But what I remember the most is hobos. They would come to the back door looking for a bite to eat, and there was no way they were going away hungry even it meant digging into the lard crock pot for a piece of sausage and frying it and putting it on a cold biscuit with a cup of coffee. Our gate post had the hobo mark on it. My point, my Mom and Dad always said "trust everybody until they prove untrustworthy, your reward will come later". If we had something to eat, they would give their last penny to someone that didn't. I sure don't have a lot of money now, but at our age and our health, I don't need or want any more material things except to tinker with them. Maybe the old man needed the Cub worse than I did. His reward will come later also.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: I've settled

Postby Eugene » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:48 pm

Creto wrote:I'm puttin a price of $1500 on it. It's going to my business partner. C.

Since the buyer and seller are your friends. I suggest you print out all of the information on this thread and the information on the ytmag board. Then just provide the information to both friends.

I'd let them figure out a price that both were comfortable with.

Eugene

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:13 pm

congratulations, Merlin !! You're a better man than I.

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:37 am

It's not a hi crop, it just has high crop rear wheels. Those aren't high crop front rims, just stock 12's. It doesn't have the rear wheel spacers, or the correct high crop front axle. Just a cub that needs alot of work with a set of rear high crop rims. :D Brandon.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:30 am

It looks to be a Cub that needs A LOT OF WORK!!!The rear rims are definately off a High-Crop Cub. If you're a "FRIEND of the SELLER & the BUYER"...I'd get out of that "no win situation" gracefully and let them work it out between themselves. If you DON'T...You're gonna end up loosing one of them! :cry: Last Time I checked "Newark Academy" ( a Prep School we used to play in football when I was at St. Bernards) was in New Jersey. We were Arch Rivals :evil:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Creto
10+ Years
10+ Years

found serial number

Postby Creto » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:19 am

I looked at the tractor last night again. There was a number under paint on the machined spot above the dip stick:
17133 I think there was a M to the left of the #
I have not decoded this yet.... what year is it?

Again thanks for the advice and I think I will let this forum speak for me and let them work out a price. I did notice a worn tie rod end last night but as I've said, it is a working tractor that needs nothing to go out and mow grass.

I'll let you know, C.

Creto
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Creto » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:24 am

Looks like a 1948... Does it make sense that there is a letter to the left of the number?

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Re: 1948

Postby George Willer » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:26 am

Creto wrote:Looks like a 1948... Does it make sense that there is a letter to the left of the number?

Yes!

Look closely and you may find FCUBM before the number.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”