This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sorry for the dumb question again......front tires?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Sorry for the dumb question again......front tires?

Postby BigBill » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:43 pm

I was planning a futuire 154 project and just thinking about it right now. I was wondering about the 600-12 and 500-12 front tires. The 500 and 600 means thats how wide the tires are right? There not much taller than my 400-12's? I was thinking of fabricating a front loader and backhoe for a 154 cub. That means a wider front tire for more weight so more support is needed and an AG tires on the rear possibly 9.5's. I just need something small to take care of the land for little jobs that i just can't do anymore by hand.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:55 pm

Bill - it's not a dumb question at all. The 400 - 500 - 600 etc. numbers do indeed relate to tire width. But, it is important to remember that an increase in tire width also brings an increase in tire height. And when you increase tire and rim width you need to watch clearances for the turning radius and watch for interference with the steering knuckle tubes.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:24 pm

Your right i went to tractor supply today and seen the larger tires and there so much taller than the 400's are too. I may stay with the orginal sizes.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:35 am

Bill Carrying capacity for tires does not necessarilly directly relate to size. Ply Rating or Load Range will make a "stronger" tire. I dont know if there are many choices in 12 inch but generally a high no. ply rating 4-6-or8 ply will give more weight carrying cap.Load Range system works with letters i.e. C. or D. is "stronger" than A. orB. Most tires made in the last 15 yrs. are supposed to have these ratings stamped right on them. Frank
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:37 pm

There are no dumb questions ,only the questions we fail to ask.
Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:15 pm

One other note, the older tires were stamped with 3 of plies. the newer ones are stamped with ply ratings, which is supposedly the equivalent to the older ply # as to load capacity, but may not actually be made of that number of plies. One other thing to think about is the higher the number of plies, the more resistant it is to thorns. On the H we used to Bush hog with it had 6 plie tires on the fornt and 8 ply on the rear. Flats from thorns were very rare, even though we ran through them a lot.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”