This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Snow Blower project (UPDATED PICS)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:32 pm

Rudi wrote:John:

All depends on your point of view or frame of reference.

I tried for 2 years to live in Sunny Southern California, but I could not bear the thought of green Christmases, no snow, dust storms, wild grass fires burning hundreds of thousands of acres of beautiful country side, smog, icky feeling from sun tan lotion on my skin, and all that stuff.

Rudi,

You forgot about snakes, scorpions, and lizzards. :shock:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:34 pm

George Willer wrote: Rudi,

You forgot about snakes, scorpions, and lizzards. :shock:

George:

Yup them too.. sure can live without that :!: :!: :!: :lol: Although, a nice 5-10 day break around end March might be enjoyable... :!: :wink:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:14 am

Even with the lower gear on the bigger tractors, they're sometimes too fast in deep snow. Dad says they used to run only ONE tire chain on the snow blower tractor so that when the snow got deep, the un-chained tire would spin and slow the tractor down. Tapping on the un-chained tire's brake pedal would cause the chained tire to grip, and edge the blower into deep snow a little at a time.

Why is everyone arguing over the RPMs? That snowblower Rick's using is designed to be driven directly from a vertical-shaft lawnmower engine, which runs at 3600RPM. The blower is going to be used as it was designed. Why is everyone second-guessing the designer?

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:26 pm

I'll take some pictures tomorrow, Thursday. It's all finished and ready for snow or George's Cubfest, whichever comes first :D

All the controls are inside the snow cab. It has all the throttle/choke controls, the start and stop buttons, plus the belt release to run the 16 hp engine without running the blower, plus the shoot, (left to right), and the tip, (up and down), are also at the driver's reach. George(IH48) has it all wired and ready to go. He even ordered some tire chain tensioners from TM today.

Come on BLIZZARD :D :D

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:39 pm

Rick:

I am on pins and needles waiting to see what you got. I sure hope you took some all the way through buddy.. gonna need help.

I really am looking forward to this!!!!

I hope it works as good as I think it will.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rick 48 cub » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:32 pm

What about welding a single (or double) v-belt pully on to the existing engine crank pully that drives the fan. The new belts could extend down below the engine to a shaft to drive the snow blower. I think this is how it is done on some newer riding lawnmowers/snowblowers.
Rick 1948 cub

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:40 pm

rick 48 cub wrote:What about welding a single (or double) v-belt pully on to the existing engine crank pully that drives the fan. The new belts could extend down below the engine to a shaft to drive the snow blower. I think this is how it is done on some newer riding lawnmowers/snowblowers.

I think the main point was for the thrower to have it's own power source so the cub engine can be idled down to regulate ground speed.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

BOB K.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BOB K. » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:26 pm

Rick,
Please take lots of photos. I would love to make a setup and hope to learn from your design.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:33 pm

We pulled the Cub out of the garage today and took some pics. Here's a few to start. The first one shows the blower in the raised position, about 6" off the ground. The stops are set inside the snow cab on the T/C lever to stop the engine from touching the cab framework.

We used the stock framework from the 54A snow blade. The blower weighes about the same as the blade, so it picks and drops fast, no problems. We installed the engine midway under the torque tube. We also used the stock Woods mower brkts mounted on the finals. You simply pull two pins, lower the back onto the ground, unhook the controls and lift attachment, and pull backwards off the whole unit. The engine clears the front axle by a good 1/2" :D . The battery and gas tank for the blower is mounted on the blower framework too, as a self contained unit.

There's more pics on the Photohost site under "Snow Cab" http://photos.cubfest.com/thumbnails.php?album=122&page=2

Tomorrow the Cub will go back to George's(IH48) for the finishing touches like tire chains, chain tensioners, etc.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:46 pm

One other thing I forgot to mention. A bigger pulley was installed on the engine. With 16hp, there's plenty of power to operate the blower. Because of the bigger engine pulley, the rpm's can be kept down on the engine and still run the blower at full speed, or more if needed in a pinch. Right now, with things running at half throttle, if you walk in front of the path of the 2nd stage blower, your "HAT" flies off your head. That air is really humming :shock:

Can't wait to see how far the snow will fly :D We have the feet adjusted at maximun travel to avoid picking up any stones at George's place. This blower is constructed well, with both auger and 2nd stage blower made from heavy duty material.

I watch too many shows by "Tim the Toolman" :D

Rick

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:23 pm

Rick:
WOW! :D
Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:26 pm

Rick:

Even better than what I imagined. Wow! Excellent.. boy do I ever wish I could be standing beside that baby when she engages some snow.

Tim "Toolman" Taylor got nothin on a Cub Owner :!: :!: :!:

More pics please :!: :!: :!: :!:

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:31 pm

Looks great Rick! Maybe I need to bring an empty trailer to George's!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:03 pm

Nice work, Rick :!: Looks like you have as much snow as we do here :wink:
8)

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:43 pm

I don't know about Tim Taylor , But , McGyver comes to mind!
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

Return to “Farmall Cub”