This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Why did you get a Farmall CUB

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Why did you get a Farmall CUB

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:36 am

Was wonering why folks picked a Farmall Cub .
I will give my explaination.
As a kid we always had Farmalls, A's, H's and the BN we restored last year and well as many others. No JD's however
When I was a kid I remember our county extension agent on a little red tractor, culivating his field of strawberry's on a early warm summer afternoon, with his pit helmet and slightly hunched over the steering wheel , did'nt know what kind of tractor it was all I know it was red , as I was 8 or 9 yrs old. Fast forward to my Jr high school years, our school transportation supervisor, also took care of the mowing. up popped up this little red tractor again. still did'nt get to see what kind it was, but it just hummed.

While in High school, I was in vo -ag , as well as on the high school baseball team. We were always asked during class if any of the baseball team members wanted to drag the diamond , I finally got on that little tractor. This time I checked it out, Farmall Cub. about a 58 model. As many of us . I was hooked.
Fast forward almost 27 yrs. A wife , 4 children , 8 household moves, 4 different family dogs, you get the picture. Told , no, asked my wife if I could get a tractor to move logs around and general use. She asked what kind , without hesitation, I said the tractor I used when I was a kid. Our family BN, however my parents did not want to part with it at that time,
So The next was a CUB. Not only was I thrilled, but my kids as well,
They just love it. Sometimes bitter sweet, as there is work to do, sawing wood, hauling and stacking. During restoration, I have met many and talked to some I have'nt met yet, But all are great folks , willing to solve the sightest problem. Another reason to get a CUB!
And everytime I get in the seat, I flash back when time seemed slower and to those warm summer days pondering the future.
Thanks
Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:59 am

I grew up on a farm. We had several tractors of different colors. But the IH red was predominant. The smallest Farmall we had was an H. After growing up and getting away from the farm I had no time for tractors. Then, as my kids were raised and i had more time for hobbies I started getting the itch for a tractor to tinker with. I first purchased a (shudder) John Deere A which was a fence row special. I soon realized that it was more than I was capable of tackling at the time. It was later sold for what I had in it. I picked up an AC model C with a belly mower on it and played with it some but it was not something I was familiar with growing up as we never had any orange ones on the farm.
Then, one day we were driving on one of the back roads near home and passed a place that had this cub sitting out by the road with a for sale sign on it. I slowed down and looked as we drove by, but kept going. My wife, bless her heart, said "Aren't you going to stop and look at it?"
I told her no and kept driving. I thought about that cub for a couple of days and did a little research on the internet. That is when I found this site. And I read everything I could about cubs.
I finally told my wife, "C'mon! Let's go look at that cub."
We did. And the rest, as they say, is history.............
Since then, I have travelled as far as Louisiana, Texas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana, Pennsylvania and other places all related to this hobby. I have met all kinds of wonderful people and made many new friends. What else can one say?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:19 am

As one who has yet to get the "first" one, my reasons are simple:
1) Utilitarian for my purposes - 10 acres most of which are wooded.
2) Relatively easy to work on - parts readily available and reasonable
3) Most importantly, this site's existence. It's not only a great deal of fun, but few here have an "agenda" other than friendship and helping one another which is huge with me Craig

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:41 am

Bigdog wrote:I grew up on a farm. And the rest, as they say, is history.............
Since then, I have travelled as far as Louisiana, Texas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana, Pennsylvania and other places all related to this hobby. I have met all kinds of wonderful people and made many new friends. What else can one say?

The farm I was raised on never had a tractor other than John Deere. I hated those tractors almost as much as I hated the mules. :( Even at a young age I could tell they didn't run right and were embarrassingly poorly engineered. All the surrounding farms had red tractors that sounded good. :D

My first Cub was one that had been gone through at a vocational school with a poor instructor. It took a couple years to erase all the tracks those vandals left, but I got to know the Cub pretty well. In the years since I bought 15 more and all but 4 of them are still here.

I've never hauled a red tractor in Texas! But I have in Missouri, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Ontario, and best of all... OHIO!

Here are most of the toys... More have been added in the last 3 years.

http://gwill.net/Album/Tractors/Tractor_Crew_6-2-03/
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:46 am

Could you pass this cute thing up?
Didn't want to see it go to the scrap pile, Ever since I can remember every time we drove by it, dad pointed it out to me, saying they've let their old cub go. Well time went on, we both got into tractors and I bought it, and it was an early 47. The only thing I regret is not having it finished in time, as I heard the original owner died about 2 months ago. I wanted to take it by and let him drive it one last time.

AChapman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AChapman » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:49 am

When I was growing up the school had one to cut the fields, football, baseball, scocer, etc..... Looked like more fun than a Disney ride..... Recently, when the local JD dealer had one come available at the same time I was looking.... well the rest is history..... :mrgreen:

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:54 am

PWL,

Was Fred Grimm still the extention agent in Ottawa county then? His counterpart here in Sandusky county was Paul Leidheiser.
George Willer

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:55 am

I'm just 24 but I remember in elementary school staring out the window watching them mow the school's yard with a yellow cub. Funny wouldn't have remembered that unless you said that. Brandon.

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:11 pm

George
Carl Ruff
He lived on the corner of 163 and Toussaint Portage rd. He had about 3 arces of Strawberry's that was late 60's
Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:16 pm

Brandon Webb silverta16 wrote:Could you pass this cute thing up?
Didn't want to see it go to the scrap pile, Ever since I can remember every time we drove by it, dad pointed it out to me, saying they've let their old cub go. Well time went on, we both got into tractors and I bought it, and it was an early 47. The only thing I regret is not having it finished in time, as I heard the original owner died about 2 months ago. I wanted to take it by and let him drive it one last time.

Brandon,

I just posted a picture of my early '47 to another thread. Sadly, I no longer have it.
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17717

Timing is everything with a sentimental restoration. One of the founding members of our club had a disposal auction of his 40+ tractors when he found out he had cancer. I bought his '42 Case SC and had it restored in time he could drive it in a parade! I never saw him with a broader grin. :D :D

George Willer

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh

Postby awander » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:23 pm

When I moved out to the "country" about 13 years ago, all my friends started talking to me with southern accents and telling me I had to get a tractor. I scoffed at the idea.

For the first few years we lived out here, we had no snow. then we started getting socked by snowstorms, and we always seemed to have trouble finding someone who was reliable and good to plow our driveway. the driveway is about 100' long, U-shaped, and it takes a REALLY long time to shovel it.

Meanwhile, I had bought a Honda riding mower from the folks we bought the house from, but it seemed as if I could never get the grass cut in a timely fashion. If i had a free day, it was sure to rain. So we hired a service to come in and do the lawn(this has been for about 6 years now)

About 2 years, i suddenly thought, "If I had a plow on the RAV4, I could plow the driveway myself", but plows for SUV's like that don't seem to be very plentiful, if they exist at all.

Then, a friend wanted to borrow the old riding mower, which was in a shed back in the woods, so I went to get it out-it turned out the tranny was frozen, and I couldn't roll it. I decided to back the RAV4 into the woods, and use a cable from thee trailer hitch to drag the old mower out. It worked, except that while I was backing in, i backed into a small tree I didn't see and dented teh RAV4 bumper.

So then i realized i needed a tractor. i could use it to plow the snow, drag things into and out of the woods, and maybe get back into mowing the lawn.

When I was a kid, the folks across the street were farmers, and they had a Cub. they also had a snow blade for it. I decided a Cub might be teh way to go.

I did some research on the internet, and found how desireable these little jewels are, and my mind was made up. I got my Cub just over a year ago, and it has been great-I spend more time hauling the kids(and adults) around in a wagon than anything, but that'ss ok!

And ona humorous note, the kids and i have made a tarctor road thru our woods, and it gets pretty muddy in there at times. i have gotten stuck 4 or 5 times, to the point where I needed a come-along to draw ol "Wile E." out. The last time it happened., I ran out of trees to attach the come-along to, at the edge of teh woods, and I ended up using the RAV4 to drag the Cub out of the mud!
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:06 pm

I was raised on Farmall H tractors, from the time I could slide off the seat and hit the pedals till I moved away form the farm. When I moved to rural area near West Plains, Mo. I decided i needed something a little more heavy duty than the riding lawnmower I had at the time due to the rugged terrain, rocks, roots, etc. When a relatives non running cub with flail mower came available some 22 years or so ago, it just seemed a natural choice. I still have it, plus another cub, and now thanks to the members on this forum, I also have my father's Farmall H I learned on.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:51 pm

Pretty much the same background as previous posters.

Reason I purchased a Cub. I like mechanical things. Guy at work had a Cub he wanted to get rid of. Price was CHEAP. I thought I could get it running and then sell at a small profit. Got the Cub running and found out that it was a useful little tractor. A lot of fun to operate. Great mower tractor.

I use the Cub for small tractor jobs. Cheap to operate compared to my bigger tractors.

Do I really need the Cub - No. Am I going to sell it - No.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

RedBess
10+ Years
10+ Years

How I got mine

Postby RedBess » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:25 pm

I work for woman one day on a lot weekends for years and she bought a '53 from the original owner. She thought it was just right for her place but as we all know unless there is a tractor for every implement it is work switching things around. I first saw it sitting low in a wet spot surrounded by high weeds. I openly admired it and later on she asked if I wanted to buy it. No soap, I replied, but I would work it off. Brother did I. Four summers it took. Used it to plow snow, plow dirt, cut and rake a field. Had it rebuilt. Last summer I got in the habit of running it without the muffler but with earplugs in just to get it to growl, which I can't get enough of that sound. Just the one tractor and tons of extras is plenty enough for this guy.
bust it? you bet I can!
53 w/ sicklebar mower, dirt & snow plows, potato harvester, potato hiller, 3 types of harrows, and a old fashion hayrack all in ellsworth maine

brianJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: k0e1k0

Postby brianJ » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:43 pm

We had rented our dwellings long enough and were ready (we thought) to purchase our first home. We got a 190 year old stone house on 2 acres, one of lawn and the other tilled. The neighbour (also the guy who sold us the house) offered to plow our snow if he could sow the tilled acre. This worked for about 2 years while we renovated the house. Another neighbour was contracted to cut the grass during this time. My wife leans Green so I bought her a JD 111 to mow with (I think her backside has grazed the seat 3 times since I bought it). I was thinking about a JD 'M' for the longest time but they were pricey and the implements were scarce and/ or pricey as well. I started to research tractors on the internet and the Cub kept popping up. I didn't require a pile of HP for my need and I was amazed by the number of different implements that were produced specifically for it. I watched our local rural rag, eBay, ytmag.com for months when my '49 appeared for sale in the local. It was a package with weights, chains, sickle mower, make shift snow plow that was much to heavy and a parts tractor. $1900 CDN changed hands and
I took it all home. I have since found a plow, discs, full set of cultivators and the snow plow. Sadly there has been almost no snow here yet which is rare.

Return to “Farmall Cub”