This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Safety/Deadman Switch

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
FCUBMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 2 Cubs
1 Simplicity
1 Craftsman
1 Farmall 130 with loader
1 Tiger

Safety/Deadman Switch

Postby FCUBMAN » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:49 am

I have done a search, and didn't find anything on this topic - Has anyone put a deadman switch on their Cub? I have very hilly terrain, and would like to add one to mine. I plan to use a microswitch mounted near the bottom of the seat mechanism, actuated by a finger that I would add. It would be in series electrically with the ignition switch, and would kill the engine if I left the seat (intentionally or not :( ) without switching on a bypass switch. Said switch could be manual, with a warning light that it was activated, or operated off the brake pedal. If the brakes were on, such as when parked, that switch would bypass the seat switch, and the engine would keep running.
Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions? All input is welcome!
Brian
"Remember, I'm pulling for you - we're all in this together!"
Quoted from Red Green of Possum Lodge

When you get older, lack of pep is often mistaken for patience.

(1956 and 1948 Cubs)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Farmall560
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Farmall560 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:04 am

I've considered using a tethered switch like those found on Jet Ski's. The idea came to me from a tractor pull years ago. I saw a guy using one on an "M".

FCUBMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
1 Simplicity
1 Craftsman
1 Tiger

Postby FCUBMAN » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:14 am

Good idea! Is that the kind of switch that requires the user to wear a wristband and insert a "key" into the switch? Being inherently lazy, I would like something that involves as little user input as practical. But your idea has the great benefit of being easy to "implement" (how's that for tractor talk?). Wiring would be a lot easier, too.

(1956 and 1948 Cubs)

Farmall560
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Farmall560 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:19 am

Instead of a wrist band, snap it on to your belt buckle or the like. I noticed he had it on when he stood up to dismount the tractor. He had it snapped on his Levi's belt loop. I went over and looked at it later, and sure as heck, it was the same switch used on Jet Ski's....lol He had a little home made plate drilled through the center. Switch was mounted to that plate. The plate was mounted to the steering support post right above the electrical box. Was a nifty idea. I imaging he had just enough length to allow him to stand on the tractor. Also, you could plug it in when you want to run the tractor for tunning or warm up.

FCUBMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
1 Simplicity
1 Craftsman
1 Tiger

Postby FCUBMAN » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:27 am

I like that! I hadn't thought about putting the strap anywhere but on the wrist. The belt loop is an excellent idea!

(1956 and 1948 Cubs)

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:13 am

The switch is a good idea, and when you are in safe driving you can just leave the lanyard danglin and not worry about it. In my opinion though, I dont think I would ever drive my cub where it was so steep I could get tossed off it. :shock:
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

wvpolekat
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wvpolekat » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:54 am

Nik, the danger isn't any situation you plan for. It's the ones you never think you well get in.

I would bet that anyone who has rolled a tractor would never tell you that they went there figuring it would roll over.

S**t happens, be a prepared as you can.
49 Super A (Tinker) 47 Ford 2N (Cricket)
----------------------------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:24 am

I was mowing next to crest of the dropoff along my creek. My woods 42 cought a sapling stump. The tires startid spinning and it slid down the hill. I had to get another tractor to pull it back and off. The side it went off goes about eight foot on a 45 degree andgle to the water. Another time I was running a 8N ford mowing on a slight hill and hit a big log on the up hill side and I thought I was going to go over :!: Ya just never know. Of corse if it goes over I do not know that I would be worried about it running.

BIlly
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 am

The deadman switch would be a good idea in more than one instance, don't forget the hazards of low limbs, which have been known to remove more than one operator from a tractor, cub and otherwise. As far as the tractor turning over though, the fuel system will shut it down very quickly in that circumstance.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

FCUBMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
1 Simplicity
1 Craftsman
1 Tiger

Postby FCUBMAN » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:03 am

I intend to use my sickle bar this summer, and will certainly take the hilly terrain into account. But, if the unthinkable happens and we tip over, or I fall off, I would sure like the mower to stop sooner than later, and even a few seconds could make a difference. Unlikely as it is, I would rather be cautious - I've grown attached to my limbs and digits :shock: :roll:
I'd also like to avoid that sick sensation of lying on the ground and watching my Cub drive itself into the pond... :cry:
I like the idea of the tether, which would probably do the least to alter the original looks of my Cub, would be convenient enough that I'd use it, and optional.
Brian

(1956 and 1948 Cubs)

2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2 Busy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:29 am

What if it stalled while it was on top of you ? Just have to look at both sides of the issue.

TOOLMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 90210

Postby TOOLMAN » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:09 am

How about you mount a magnetic contact switch behind the dash panel that would than use a magnet to come into contact through the dash Plate being metal it would stick and then you tie this off to your belt.
when Magnet is pulled away the contact opens and tractor shuts down.
Like an home alarm switch contact and one of those 2inch round magnets that have a string loop already on it.
Pull the magnet away tractor stops.and the Look of the Dash is Original because switch is behind.
Toolman
3969 Members

1954 Cub quick hitch /Plow
1947 Ford 2N
1948 Green Machine Model M (i know)
Knowledge Is Power
and Power is Knowledge
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten."

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:48 am

toolman, the idea is good, but the magnetic contactors won't work thfough a metal dash. Many even have to have some clearance for other metalic surfaces.

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:51 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:toolman, the idea is good, but the magnetic contactors won't work thfough a metal dash. Many even have to have some clearance for other metalic surfaces.

Could you cut out part of the dash and replace with a fiberglass section. Painted and all, it shouldn't look noticibly different from the metal, and you'd be potentially able to run the magnet through that...

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:53 am

That would work as far as the switch goes, but considering it also supports the fuel tank I am not sure I would want to cut out a section of the dsah.

Return to “Farmall Cub”