This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Whats this tool bar from?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Whats this tool bar from?

Postby AlanPCUBS » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:19 am

Saw this on e-bay and was wondering which imp. it was from or is?
http://cgi.ebay.com/IH-FARMALL-CUB-TOOL ... dZViewItem

ty Alan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

LabadieBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63055

Postby LabadieBill » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:51 am

Ty,

It's a middle buster. The tool bar is set up to hook into the front cultivator mounts. Some people use them to open a furrow for planting potatoes or other vegetables.

Bill

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:32 am

It's the optional furrowing atachment that mounts on a Cub runner planter I know a 174, probably all planters that use the similiar runner design. It's shown here:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:46 pm

Alan:

Yup, that is what it is.. a lay off plow or similar to a middle buster. That is exactly what I had been looking for to aid in planting my taters. It is a pretty good little tool.

They can be mounted directly onto the cultivator tool bars as well. I just had one given to me that will mount up nicely.

Great kit to have, if it is close.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:11 pm

They call it a "bull tongue" in these parts.....

We figured out a good way to plant taters using the disk hillers: (the ones with the offset shank, not the straight one) You first turn them backwards, so they are throwing the dirt out instead of in. When working this gives you a side by side trench with a tiny ridge in the center, like between the gangs of a single action disk. Drop the taters, we actually drop the taters on one side of the of the "ridge" and put fertilizer on the other side. The ridge keeps the tates off the fertilizer. Then, turn the hillers around the "right" way and throw the row up.

We actually make our garden rows the same way. "Throw them out," add fertilizer by hand, and "ridge it back up."

Al

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:32 pm

Super A wrote:They call it a "bull tongue" in these parts.....

We figured out a good way to plant taters using the disk hillers: (the ones with the offset shank, not the straight one) You first turn them backwards, so they are throwing the dirt out instead of in. When working this gives you a side by side trench with a tiny ridge in the center, like between the gangs of a single action disk. Drop the taters, we actually drop the taters on one side of the of the "ridge" and put fertilizer on the other side. The ridge keeps the tates off the fertilizer. Then, turn the hillers around the "right" way and throw the row up.

We actually make our garden rows the same way. "Throw them out," add fertilizer by hand, and "ridge it back up."

Al

Al,

That sounds like a great method!!!
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

(CUB HUT)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47401

Postby (CUB HUT) » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:41 pm

AlanPCUBS
In the picture look in front of the planter---the red bar holding the disc hillers is the one you ask about. DAVE
THE OLDER I GET ---THE BETTER I WAS

If you can read this... thank a teacher... if you are reading it in English....THANK A VET !!!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:09 pm

George Willer wrote:
Super A wrote:They call it a "bull tongue" in these parts.....

Al

Al,

That sounds like a great method!!!

George, not to get too far off the topic of the original thread, but we've done it this way for years in the garden. On the taters, it probably really puts them a little "too" deep as they may be a little slow to emerge but they push on through and do fine, and you end up with a nice deep row where the potatoes actually develop. Also, I can't prove it but I believe it protects them when they are young and you get a cold snap--deeper root system. Keep in mind this is in light, sandy soil. If the ground is heavier, the furrowing attachment may get in the ground deeper.

As far as making the garden rows this way, I think the logic was, they didn't want to put the fert. attachment on, simply for 6-8 garden rows.

Often what you see people here do, if they do have the fertilizer attachment on, is they use the layoff plow/bulltongue/etc. on the toolbar as illustrated, with the fertilizer spout dropped down just behind that. Then they have the hillers on also in order to furrow, apply fertilizer, and ridge the row all at one time. The setup looks similar to the picture Cub Hut posted, minus the planter.

One of these days, if I can make the time, I will try to use the tools I have to take some pictures of the different way you can set up hillers, rolling cultivators, potato hillers, (tobacco plows) etc. if it would be of any use to anyone.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:54 pm

Dang Cub Hut you got a fancy step there! :D

Seriously that is a wicked nice rig. I am still trying to figure out the cultivators that came with mine. I never knew you could hang so much off a Cub at one time!

Larry
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

(CUB HUT)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47401

Postby (CUB HUT) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:22 am

Larry

More than A good man can pick up with the hand lift :!:
THE OLDER I GET ---THE BETTER I WAS

If you can read this... thank a teacher... if you are reading it in English....THANK A VET !!!

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:26 pm

Yikes! Couldn't see the TC was missing behind all the other stuff. Now I see the lever.

My #3 has a manual lift and I am thinking of making it a mowing machine, but I hope that is pretty reasonable to lift a Woods 59 :?:
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”