This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Power angle "whats wrong"

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BOB K.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Power angle "whats wrong"

Postby BOB K. » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:56 pm

Ok, I was getting ready to order the piston and decides to measure . Iturned the blade all the way to the left and made a mark about were the piston center pin will go. I figured a 16" total length hole to hole, just to figure strike needed. I moved the blade all the way to the right pin hole and measured . It should be 24" for a 8" stroke piston like everyone is using. I got 26" which makes a 10" stroke. Am I doing something wrong? :?

Also I Have a 2 spool valve OC new fron a snow plow which should wok but do I need to worry about the persure of the releih valve in it? What is max pressure for the releive valve on the cub.

Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Prentice » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:47 pm

Hi Bob. I have a 12" stroke on my cylinder. I angle full left and right, beyond the holes :shock: (sometimes I tend to get carried away with limits :D ). My cylinder's longer than most, too, because my back mount is off the 1" rod that the bladeframe pivots up and down on. I'll bet if you move all your brkts as close as possible, tolerance wise, you'll achieve that 8" stroke like the others, or close to it.

As far as the control valve, it's best to adjust the valve to the max pressure the Cub pump developes( I think around 1500), but if you know when to stop, and don't hold the control lever engaged after things bottom out, you'll be fine. But try to adjust the relief first :D

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:19 pm

I have an 8" stroke on mine. It took a few tries using a c clamp to hold the cyl mounts to get it right, full right and full left it linews up with the indexing holes.
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

BOB K.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BOB K. » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:12 pm

Thanks guys. I will try tommarow an measure some more before ordering.
Does anyone have a problem with the front tires hitting the plow shoes? Mine hits and sometimes I can't turn. Only hits while plowing.

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:11 am

My blade would hit my tires, then I welded the pivot points to take the slack out of it. Just don't add weld to the wrong side of the hole or the blade wil set crooked. I used an 8" cylinder on mine. Ted

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:40 am

Yeah, if your estimated stroke is 10", you don't have your angles right. Move your cylinder pivot points closer to the pivot for the blade.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:49 am

I purchased an 8" stroke cylinder and it all depends on where you mount it. It firgure the closer to the center swivel pin the more angle it will go so we can get the most out of the stroke we have. I'm going to put a little angle on it to the left when i mount it too. Since we always push to the right most of the time i will put the cylinder were most of the stress is on the left side. I wanted to do a center mount but my plow frame is in the way. (trip springs) My cylinder came from Northern tool and its #905408 thats a 2 1/2 bore, 8" stroke with a 1 3/8" shaft. That should be good enough.

This project is on hold because of the cold weather( i been welding outside). I'm still unpackin from moving in and i have to clean up my shop/garage first then i can fabricate inside with heat.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Farmall Cub”