This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Removing Head Bolts

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:37 pm

They are great tools Rudi.... but I highly recommend you liberally Kroil prior to breaking out the bold outs.

I needed it for one of the bolts on the front hubs on the Kia (found 4wd didn't work when the snow was over the bumper, highways were closed AND I was 50 miles from home.... bad vacuum seal). Was a long time since I had driven a rear wheel drive without a posi rear end.... scary.

Although it is a great tool... be warned that it will (may) ruin the bolt head and may just make it easier to break it off where it will be even harder to remove.

I would be a shade tree mechanic..... except I have a garage!

Larry
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:07 pm

Larry: I have twisted the bolt head off a couple of times when using my set. In each case, I was able to switch to a smaller one, grasp the stem of the bolt and remove it. That works well if sufficient stem protrudes to allow a smaller bolt-out to get a firm grip on it. Dan

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:30 pm

Yep Dan, I think they are great, and that is a good tip. Either Kroil is a miracle product or I was lucky with the 50... did not break a single bolt. Mostly because I know what it takes to get a broken one out now, so I was pretty careful.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:57 pm

Buzzard Wing
Yes Head bolts are special and it is reccommended that new ones be used each time. That said I don't know any one that does replace them every time a head is off.
Bet I catch it on this one.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:27 am

Head bolts are supposed to have a certan amout of Strech in them. I do not change them unless they have been reused two dozen times or they are badly rusted and pitted.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”