This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

SNOW BLOWER update

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

SNOW BLOWER update

Postby Rick Prentice » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:25 pm

Well, George gave the blower a good workout today.

We're not happy with the results :( . The 16 hp engine seems to bog down when you hit heavy snow and the Cub still goes alittle fast, even at idle.

We shredded two belts. They just can't handle the bogging down part. Both belts were the heavy industrial kind. The second was a $16.00 green Gates.

Another problem is hearing the Cub engine run when the blower is singing. It's easy to stall the Cub, trying to get it to travel slow enough.

I'm back to the drawing board. This experiment was designed to see if it was practical or not to install a Blower on the regular Cub.

Right now, the not practical is winning :shock:

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:09 pm

Come on don't throw the towel in yet!!!!!! You need to speed up the blower so it can match the tractor speed with blowing snow. Its a balance of the ratio's on the belts to the speed of the tractor. I think we all knew it wouldn't fly on the very first shot so adjustments need to be made. This is the fun of going were no cub has ever gone your a pioneer and breaking new ground with a cub. I really miss doing R&D work since i retired thats the most fun to design it and make it work from no prints the plan is in my head.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:09 pm

Rick,

Shoot, I was looking forward to pictures of snow flowing in a HUGE arc from the front of the cub, throwing snow into the next zipcode. I have even thought I would follow suit and make one of my own. I'll just have to wait until the master works out the kinks (which I'm sure you will).

Good luck fine tuning the design!

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:26 pm

Bigbill wrote:
You need to speed up the blower so it can match the tractor speed with blowing snow.

Bigbill, already had that figured in. I installed a little bigger pulley on the engine to get that extra kick, if needed. George had this thing screemin' and it still bogged the 16hp engine. It sure throws the snow, just not in the next zipcode :D

We need EJP's speed reducer :shock: or a 32hp engine :shock:

Some more thought has to go into this project :wink: .

Hold off on your's, Tamu, for awhile.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:27 pm

Chain drive? Motorcycles do it.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

Postby evielboweviel » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:40 pm

sure sounds like a speed reducer is needed
Ron

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:01 pm

Rick:

I am sure that there will be a viable solution to this. Has to be. I know in me heart that this can be done.. I have been pondering this for a couple years.. and have talked to many about it. They all for the most part also believe that it can be done. Some naysayers always say that the Cub isn't strong enough, fast enough or slow enough for stuff.. but it always seems to work out.

I know that the Cub is not the be-all and end-all, but it is a pretty darn good unit, and it will be up to this. It is just a matter of figuring out the engineering details of the problem.

I have a lot of faith in ya Rick.. and I know that the solution will come. It may take a while, but it will come..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:12 pm

:shock: Go to smlar rear tires, It may look funny but it will slw it down :lol:

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: SNOW BLOWER update

Postby Mac from NS » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:13 pm

Rick how would the belt drive like a snowmoble uses work on something like that?
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:01 pm

Our tractor has a 24hp twin, the blower is geared down a fair bit, I would guess a 5 inch pulley on tractor and a 10 on the blower. I have to creep about as slow as it will go in deep snow. 4 foot swath.
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

RAW in IA
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 50662

Postby RAW in IA » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:23 pm

Years ago I had a Wheel Horse with a snow blower (not the one for that tractor)and it was running too fast. I had to slow it down some to get it to blow snow. Was just soaking up all the power and not getting anywhere.

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47421
eBay ID: gotowin
Tractors Owned: 55 cub,
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:13 pm

Rick, I went back and looked again at the pics you had earlier posted of this project. I did a similiar setup a few years ago with the drive belting on a Toro front mount mower. I removed the mower and fabricated a leaf vacumn/blower on the front. The drive belt changing direction 90 degrees as moves around the lower pulleys situated in close proximity to the driven pulley creates alot of stress and heat in the belt. Add to this the occassional shock load created by the equipment powered as it's load varies. Additionally the faster the belt is moving, -ie; higher RPM, the more heat buid up.
MY THOUGHTS;
A possible gear box to eliminate the two lower belt pulleys, and OR; some sort of flywheel at the driven pulley to soften the shock loads and help maintain blower rpm at all load conditions.

I agree with most of the others. Don't throw in the towel just yet.I have faith in you. "YOU WILL PREVAIL" :!: :!: :)
:) Dan Robertson :)

:oops: We all make mistakes :oops:
I try to keep mine to a minimum

CubitisNH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby CubitisNH » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:38 pm

Rick-- I think Jack has a good idea with "smaller tires"--one of my parts Cubs has 15" white spoke rims on the rear, with quite large tires that I think are a LOT shorter than any 24" Cub tire. Something to consider as this would change the effective gear ratio a fair amount. Granted, it would look a little strange, but looks aren't everything! Any junkyards in your area might have something similar--it would be cheaper than a howard CD-6 speed reducer. Only possible glitch is the amount of ground clearance you have ---
Mike
How can you have too many Cubs????

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:41 pm

You ain't gettin my speed reducer, and that's final. since the pto isn't in use for this application, what about fabricating a hydra creeper to run off the TC pump and dirve it via the pto?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:02 pm

I like that idea John! 8) 8)
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

Return to “Farmall Cub”