This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Plowing snow on ice on the lake for skating......

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:58 pm

Eight inches of ice--you can plow and relax. 8)
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:05 am

There is a weigh per ice thickness chart somewhere on the net. I know when the temps at night are below 32 degrees F we get two inches of ice added each night. But when there is snow on the ice it can vary and the ice maybe thinner were the snow or were the water running current is under the ice. You must know which way the current runs under the ice too. I ice fish too at the little places that i fish and i'm aware of were the current runs and i stay away from the thinner spots. I believe they say that clear ice is safer than frosty colored ice too.

BTW; I'm 350lbs and i first ice fished on just 2 to 3" of ice. I cut my holes and tried to fish but everytime i stepped around the ice flexed and water came up thru the hole. I left and waited a few more days and we had much thicker/safer ice. Besafe and Keep that Cub safe too!!!

I found one; http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfwice.htm
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743
Circle of Safety: Y

ice

Postby DanR » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:25 am

My grandfather told me that 4" of clear ice will support a wagon with a ton of grain and a 4 horse team. I know my grandfather was never wrong. :wink:
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:30 am

George; I've heard tell in yrs past about people driving to the islands on lake Erie. Since you live relatively close up there maybe you can enlighten us or possible you done it.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:54 am

WKPoor wrote:George; I've heard tell in yrs past about people driving to the islands on lake Erie. Since you live relatively close up there maybe you can enlighten us or possible you done it.

I've known of people even crossing the lake to Canada on the ice. Some years ice fishing can be pretty good, I'm told. On those years a lot of ice taxis magically appear. They are cars with cut down bodies... no tops or doors for obvious reasons.

The Coast Guard often has to rescue fishermen when the ice drifts away. Naturally they frown on these guys trying to go back to retrieve their vehicles and shanties. One guy they had to lock up after they had rescued him 3 times. (at taxpayer expense)

An acquaintance even made quite a business of flying fisherman out there with a Cessna 180 until he wrecked it while showing off... he drug a wingtip on the ice and cartwheeled. :( :( :(

As for me I prefer to stay off the lake summer or winter. :wink:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”