This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Positive ground

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:04 am

Hey Grumpy...GOOD ADVISE Son :!: :wink: I also like your tag line...sorta reminds me that "Life is NOT a dress rehearsal" :!: :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54515

Postby birddog » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:11 pm

One thing to remember when working with electricity just because you think it can't happen or some one say's it can't do that it doesn't mean that it didn't do the unexplained.In nearly 40 years as a mechanic I have seen some really odd(and what I thought not possable)things happen,and heard of some even wierder things.The new electronics are getting even worse for doing wierd stuff. Mark:

cubby
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45069
Tractors Owned: 26,27,28 farmall regular
47cub= Cubby
48 cub=Rusty
49cub=BEEcub
75 cub=Lemon Juice
76-CUB=RED BIRD
53 AC-WD
NH TC-18
53 "H"
67 sears SS-12
3 CADET ORIGINALS
73 Wheel Horse-Automatic
Cadet 73
Cadet 70
Cadet 100(2)

Postby cubby » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:43 pm

It's also important to understand the difference between current(ohms) and voltage(volts) and there relationship as descibed by ohms law. That can be a whole days class in it self. Rick

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:58 pm

Current = amps - amount of current flow in a circuit
Volts = potential - the force that causes current to flow
Resistance = ohms - the impedance to current flow

Ohm's Law states the relationship of the three elements:
Current flow (in amps) is equal to voltage (in volts) divided by resistance (in ohms).
If you know any two of the elements, you can determine the third.

You're right Rick, we could spend days on this........ but I (and I'm sure many others) would be willing to discuss or answer whatever questions I can if anyone has them.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:23 pm

I learned about that years ago and could not even come close to Big Dog's lesson.

One interesting 'effect' of resistance is that if you have a bad connection.... it is effectively resistance, so you will not get the same current where you need it.

The key lesson is that good grounds, correct gauge wires, GOOD CONNECTORS (very hard to find these days) and tight connections make the electricity happy and go where it's supposed to go instead of getting lost along the way!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Larry in IN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46750
Tractors Owned: '59 cub running
'48 'H' running?
'54 '400' project
'67 806' project
?? '706' project
'70' 826G Hydro 'every day power! 1 of 14
'71' MM G1050 - Big iron
'51' JD 'R' project
'61 JD 3010 project
'48 Allis 'G'
'??' F-12 my son's

Postby Larry in IN » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:26 pm

I too, have really enjoyed Grumpy's tag line!

I do, however, seriously question his definition of 'tingle' when speaking of getting bit by a live plug wire :lol: :wink: :roll: :!:

Larry
One of the few advantages of growing older is that I finally realized that I haven't made ALL the stupid mistakes! Yet!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:43 pm

Larry in IN wrote:I too, have really enjoyed Grumpy's tag line!

I do, however, seriously question his definition of 'tingle' when speaking of getting bit by a live plug wire :lol: :wink: :roll: :!:

Larry

Larry,

I'm timid so I don't know the answer to this: If touching the plug wire without touching any other part of the tractor to complete the circuit... will I still get knocked for a loop? :? :? :?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

Postby evielboweviel » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:45 pm

yes

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:14 pm

The tingle (Thats putting it mildly) is really hard to explain but when ya feel it, it reminds you of the days (early 50's) when your dad said "hold this wire while I pull on the starter rope to see if this mower has any spark". 3 feet in the air says it does. Then he explains that electricity has to have a ground so if you hold on the handle it won't shock you. :oops: :oops: :oops: Some of us never learn. Appreciate the comments on the tag line but it's something I believe from the bottom of my heart. Live while you can :!: :!: Grump . I have the feeling George already knew that answer. :wink: P.S
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:25 pm

P
I / E
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:34 am

grumpy wrote: it reminds you of the days (early 50's) when your dad said "hold this wire while I pull on the starter rope to see if this mower has any spark".

That is what I thought cats were for. If the cat disappears for the rest of the day, the spark is good.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:15 pm

Is it time for a story?

This was while I was still a teenager. A nasty spring storm had done a lot of damage and our phone was out because a big elm tree across from our house fell and broke the line. No doubt the line crews were very busy. Pop decided we should be helpful and repair it ourselves. His intention was for me to pull the two ends together while he twisted the wires. YOW!!! "Stop being a sissy, there isn't even enough voltage to feel... see?" says Pop. I try again. YOW!!! "Ridiculous! See... I can't even feel anything", says Pop. He couldn't get me to try again. Getting the ringer voltage was too much for me and he never touched the wires when it was trying to ring. I doubt he ever understood.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54515

Postby birddog » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:10 pm

George I wonder if some people make better grounds then others do.I get shocks from stuff that no one else does.Phone lines,car batteries and wiring,even off my refrigerator if I lean on it just right with my bare arm.To this day I won't shut off an old Briggs engine or others where you push the metal tab against the plug to short it out.I get a shock every time. Mark:

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:24 pm

Mark, it is all dependent on how conductive your skin is. And, how well you are grounded yourself - choice of footwear has a lot to do with that.
Some folks are better conductors than others. If you are picking up an electrical shock from your refrigerator you need to have someone check your household wiring. You have a ground fault somewhere.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:44 pm

I remember having to put put some open wire up in the mid 70's during a driving rain storm. The line was about 15 miles long from the office to the end. I had on high voltage gloves but they had wet thru long before I started putting the wires back together. Every time I made a connection it felt like a horse had kicked me. All the capacitance of the line was discharging back thru my hands and down thru my hooks to ground. Boy was that fun with 8 or 9 pair to hook up.

Return to “Farmall Cub”