This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What's in a name?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44039
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

What's in a name?

Postby treesitter » Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:31 pm

Thought some of you may find this humerous or interesting- I work in downtown Cleveland as a Vice Pres. at a museum. Nearly all of the staff and volunteers who work in one of my departments are young and grew up and have lived in the Greater Cleveland area all of thier lives, with little, if any, rural experiences.

The other day, I was telling one of my supervisors a story about the Cub and she asked, at the end of the story, what is the name of my tractor. I know many of you on the forum do have names for your Cub(s), but I haven't given it much thought and I just replied with either "the tractor" or "the Cub".

So now they have taken it upon themselves to come up with name for my Cub. There is a digital pic of it taped to a wipe off board in our office area with about a dozen potential names listed so far. I am waiting for my seasonal staff to return during the holidays, all college students, to see what they have to say. The staff in this department perform science demonstrations for our museum visitors and most have backgrounds in theater/acting/science and are generally very outgoing people. They always seem to have a unique...perspective.

I'll post the list once complete. For the moment, my favorite is "The Detractor" since it does often detract me from things I should be doing.

Since I grew up and lived most of my life in rural western PA, I now find my hunting, fishing, country living stories etc. are either listened to with great interest or, more often, with 'deer in the headlights' expressions. I'm kinda scared of what the name list will have by Christmas.
All she did when she first saw it was stand there looking at it, shaking her head,
while my buddy and I stood there drinking beer, grinning over my fine purchase.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:42 pm

My wife Marilyn is going through the naming process right now for her new Cub. She's told me of some possibilities. I nixed "Red". We'll be interested in seeing the examples your committee comes up with.

We're 65 miles from North Royalton, so they could even have the same name. Wherever the name is called would be out of earshot of one of them. :lol:

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44039
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Postby treesitter » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:44 pm

Sure we could share a name. Funny how your wife's Cub looks much like mine, minus the sickle bar, as far as level of restoration, etc.

Andy
All she did when she first saw it was stand there looking at it, shaking her head,

while my buddy and I stood there drinking beer, grinning over my fine purchase.

Indiana Robinson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Indiana Robinson » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:42 pm

I call mine "Major" but it is a local thing. There was a local author named Charles Major. His first book, "When Knighthood Was In Flower", was a best seller and many years later made into a movie by Disney. I believe it was his second book that was called "The Bears of Blue River". Great book, sort of a boys adventure book about a boy named Balser Brent and his many adventures in early (about 1820) Shelby County IN involving bears. There is a statue of Balser (fictional charactor) on the public square standing and holding two "cubs" up high in the air. Thus the connection CUB = Major... Oh well, it suited me. :) The statue was originally in front of an old school named the Charles Major School. When it was closed the statue was moved to the square. The old school was converted to senior apartments and still "bears" (pun intended) Charles Major's name. The local high school athletic teams are called the Golden Bears. The jr. high teams were the Cubs. If anyone is curious here is a link to a page that mentions him. I have seen several pages about him but most were just plain wrong and few mentioned close to all of his works. Kind of funny this comes up now, I was doing some other research and was standing on Charles Major's grave just last week.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/084461-6226-157.html
"farmer"
1947 CUB named "Major"
5 other red ones
JD-A
MM-R
AC-C
MF-165D-HA)
2 Case VACs
MH-Pony
2 Ford 8Ns
Ferguson TO-20
Everything needs something, some need almost everything.

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:15 pm

Named mine for some old Friends ( old enough to be my parents but aren't)and its funny how the tractors are pickup there personalties
Stuart
Dickey
Phillis & Mary

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years

Postby Ralph » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:15 pm

:roll:I name mine real quick when I buy them so they don't get mad :shock: and run off up in ohio . :?
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:18 pm

If they run off up this way Ralph, I'll keep an eye out for them! :)
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: What's in a name?

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:02 pm

TreeSitter wrote:I'll post the list once complete. For the moment, my favorite is "The Detractor" since it does often detract me from things I should be doing.

In that case, maybe you should go with "Distractor", without "The" in front. When you get the next one, it can be "Dattractor".

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:21 pm

A couple of years ago we had a tractor name discussion on the Farmall ATIS board, it was pretty interesting.

We do not name our tractors. They are refered to as Susie's 706, Mike's 706, the restored German diesel, the unrestored German diesel, the cub High Crop, the Yellow Cub etc.... We never even mention the year of the tractor........Now with the Binder trucks, they all go by model and year.
The 52-L, 54-R, 1958 A-120, 70 flatbed, 29 6 speed.........
I could never keep the names of the cows straight so I am not even going to attempt naming 30 tractors and keeping those names straight. :-)
Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:28 am

I've been thinking about this for a while, and this subject is the frosting on the cake: OK, Loboy, I christen thee: Percy (I just went out in the garage and dumped a little coffee on the radiator cap).
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:12 am

Mike Schmudlach wrote:I could never keep the names of the cows straight so I am not even going to attempt naming 30 tractors and keeping those names straight. :-)
Mike

Heading off topic, into cow naming:

Back on the farm, most of our cattle were herefords, raised for beef. Few of them got names. The ones with names had all earmed them. "Lightning" and "Bullet" come to mind.

But we also had a very small number of milk cows that were used to raise a few calves. Most of the milkers had been raised as calves purchased from neighboring dairy operations. These cows were each named after the wife of the farmer it was bought from.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

tractor names

Postby danovercash » Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:24 am

Figured I'd call mine "Rip Van Winkle" because it stays in the garage and sleeps all the tjme!! "RIP" for short.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:30 pm

It don't seem like I keep one long enough to name, ( Bigdog has probably named some of them for me) but I have a Super A my Dad bought new and dubbed Nelly Belle, so thats what I call her. I got my my favorite Cub from Mississippi and called her Miss Cub, but she is somewhere in SC now.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:42 pm

Named my 2 cubs after the people I got them from (Aunt Jessie, and George T.)

Regarding naming cows, when you are raised up poor on a farm, you never name anything edible.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Dave B '47 CT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave B '47 CT » Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:04 pm

I've had my mongrel '47 since 99. I did not think of a good name for her :D for three years. Finally, after I worked on the magneto, it came to me. Now I call her Sparky, because if she ain't sparkin, she ain't alive.

Return to “Farmall Cub”