This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What's in a name?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:08 pm

May as well get in on this one.

Beverly HillBillies was one of my favourite programs when I was younger -- sort of dates me now don't it :?: :lol:

That is why I call me first one Ellie-Mae, cause I still remember how cute Donna Douglass was! Jethro, well as with the character, he needs some serious work. I am going to call the next one either Granny or Jed, depending on what condition it is in. If it is real rough - Granny it is. :wink: If it is leaking oil it's gonna be called Jed! :roll: :wink:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44039
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Postby treesitter » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:18 pm

The list at work is growing. I now have a new top pick- Boo Boo. The girl who wrote it said since it is a 'Cub', the first thing she thought of was Boo Boo from Yogi Bear.

Andy
All she did when she first saw it was stand there looking at it, shaking her head,
while my buddy and I stood there drinking beer, grinning over my fine purchase.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:57 pm

Boo Boo, Yogi & Ranger Smith! You got enough names to start a collection! I have Curly, Moe & Larry. Shemp is a parts tractor and I haven't named the 184 lo-boy yet.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:49 pm

OK,
I'll jump on too.
My once beloved, but since moved on '44 A was called Buster when I bought it. My '49 (which I told my daughter is her tractor) started off as Lizzy, then Kitten, and more recently Miss Daisy. None of those names really seem to quite fit it's personality, I'm thinking maybe it's male.
Finally the '67 is none other than Frank, named by me after the old guy who loved her for years working around the CN Railway station, that name really fits. I still have my trusty little '63 Simplicity which I never did have a name for, lately he's been Lonely. I gave him a little visit this morning and stole his battery for a transplant into Frank.

One big happy family.
Just Do It !

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:46 am

I guess I'll take a forray into the OT cow naming too, as the only names our tractors get is the model # (other than the consecutive As, they're the "twins").
We raise black Angus, and all have a registered name, but are often repeated as females are named after the mother and males after the father. So we end up with some nick-names on the special ones. One in particular, we got at an auction, and were never billed for, we checked it out, and were told that she was already paid for,,, she was called "cheap cow" (and was worth exactly what we paid for her). :lol:
Another time we had all our barns full and had one tied behind the rest, my bro-in-law was helping feed the cows, and I noticed that he hadn't fed the one behind. Remember that they're all black, I asked " is that cow black"?
He looked at me like I had 2 heads and said " last time I looked!!"

I said " So that's why you didn't feed her." :lol: (referring to discrimination) Her name was then "black cow". That drew the looks from people when they came to visit. :lol:
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Scott C
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scott C » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:32 pm

My cub doesn't have a name, yet.
One of my Cub Cadets, the original in the cub pictures at the home page, is named IT. I was told, when I painted it, that I had bastardized the tractor by the paint I used. I figured then, it must be illigitimate, right?
So the original got the name "IT" (Illigitimate Tractor).

Yo's Dad
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: What's in a name?

Postby Yo's Dad » Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:22 pm

In that case, maybe you should go with "Distractor", without "The" in front. When you get the next one, it can be "Dattractor".

Jim - I hardly ever laugh out loud, especially when I'm alone, but your tractor names above are just great. thanks
YD, Grover and Ole Malley
‘Keepers of the Flame’ Image

treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44039
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Results are in!

Postby treesitter » Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:04 pm

Well, the posting on the office wipe-off board didn't provide me with any strong name canidates for my Cub but here are the results. Perhaps, to get the background, read the first post before reading the list.

1. Old Red
2. Big Red
3. Red Baron
4. Ye Olde Pull
5. My Detractor
6. Redneck Limo
7. Boo Boo (as in Yogi and Boo Boo)
8. McDowell Mobile
9. Bessy
10. Frank
11. Junior
12. Rouge Rover
13. Amish Cadillac
14. Getthisgoingforme
15. Mr. Haney's Treasure
16. Wait Till Next Year
17. Santa's Summer Ride
18. Rural Convertable
19. Hayseed Plowboy
20. "TEFF" Topsoil-eroding Fossil Fuelinator
21 "MOW" My Other Wife

I kinda like MOW but would have to explain it at home, which I would rather not do. TEFF would be the way to go lately- running around with chains on with no snow as of late, warm temps and lots of rain.

I've thought about naming it after my late father who worked for IH for many years and always worked on farm machinery till he died (mostly in western PA) and had red hair and was known only by "Red" to many people- but I can't bring myself to naming an old tractor after him.

I guess the name will come when I least expect it or until I get another Cub since I can't call them both Cub.

The search goes on.

Andy :?
All she did when she first saw it was stand there looking at it, shaking her head,

while my buddy and I stood there drinking beer, grinning over my fine purchase.

Larry in IN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46750
Tractors Owned: '59 cub running
'48 'H' running?
'54 '400' project
'67 806' project
?? '706' project
'70' 826G Hydro 'every day power! 1 of 14
'71' MM G1050 - Big iron
'51' JD 'R' project
'61 JD 3010 project
'48 Allis 'G'
'??' F-12 my son's

Postby Larry in IN » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:23 am

We never got into naming the tractors, but the 1937 JD[excuse the langage] combine with a 16 foot header was named 'MODOC' in honor of a famous circus elephant that got loose down in East Cntral Indiana and generally daised havoc.

John, we only name the critters that are particularly ornery - makes 'em taste better on the plate, and the hurt feel better.
One of the few advantages of growing older is that I finally realized that I haven't made ALL the stupid mistakes! Yet!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:28 am

Larry, Did the elephant get it's name from the town of Modoc or was the town named after the elephant?
Bigdog

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:02 am

Regarding naming cows, when you are raised up poor on a farm, you never name anything edible.[/quote]

How right you are John :!: :!:

Larry in IN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46750
Tractors Owned: '59 cub running
'48 'H' running?
'54 '400' project
'67 806' project
?? '706' project
'70' 826G Hydro 'every day power! 1 of 14
'71' MM G1050 - Big iron
'51' JD 'R' project
'61 JD 3010 project
'48 Allis 'G'
'??' F-12 my son's

Postby Larry in IN » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:03 pm

B.D.,
According to "Indiana Place Names", an oft-consulted tome, Modoc was platted around 1882 and named for the Indian tribe.
Local legend says that the name was suggested by a picture of a Modoc chief on a cigar box.
However, the elephant episode happened down in that neighborhood too.
I have been to Modoc, and I'll guarantee they would understand if a Cub parade went thru town! :lol:
One of the few advantages of growing older is that I finally realized that I haven't made ALL the stupid mistakes! Yet!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:36 pm

I have a friend who lives near Modoc. Unfortunately, he likes those Prairie Gold Mini-flatulance Moldines.
Bigdog

Bill the Builder
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bill the Builder » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:58 am

I've enjoyed reading the forum for the past couple years, decided to register and jump in. My cub is known as Jane, short for "plain Jane". No starter, lights, hydraulics, pto, but alot of fun. Another note - My sisters and I hosted a retirement party for my father last Saturday. He started turning wrenches for IH in 1946 and hasn't missed a beat since. I think he is just reaching his peak at age 74, and will be spending alot of time in my shop to keep him out of mom's hair. I have many projects to keep him busy.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:08 am

Bill, That's great to hear about your dad! I love running across the guys who used to work for IH. Some of my favorite memories of the farm are the times we went to the IH dealer for parts. All the parts and service guys really seemed to not mind kids asking dumb questions.
Bigdog

Return to “Farmall Cub”