This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

"FINALLY" It runs right again !!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.
Circle of Safety: Y

"FINALLY" It runs right again !!

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:57 am

If any of you remember, many months ago I had to put in a new carb on my 57 Loboy and it never ran right after that. I had absolutely no governor response; it wouldn't idle at all; it would race (rpms) with no load and had no power to run my newly, completely rebuilt C3 belly mower. I tried everything....researched posts......this manual/that manual...blah blah blah.....I gave up and parked it in the barn. (to hide it from Bigdog?) So, this season I had to mow the 5 acres with a Sears 42" rider. With my work schedule and family obligations I just didn't have the time or patience to tinker with it. A couple of days ago I finally was able to have a local IH expert come over and look at it.....took him maybe 5 minutes to get her purring like a spoiled housecat at idle, running strong at full throttle and everything in between. Boy there is NO substitute for experience!! There is no more grass to mow here in central Ohio but the snow is coming soon I presume....and I have my toy back to clear the drive again. I use my 52" front/mid mount blade on the rear as a back blade. If you want pics just email me, it works out great on the gravel drive. It hangs from the fast hitch by a chain and floats over the gravel instead of digging in with the more rigid way the linkage sets up in front or in the middle.

The culprit after my carb swap was the governor to throttle rod. Even though I swapped for the exact carb it must have had a different type of lever on the throttle plate shaft that made the rod about 5/16" too long !! Now if I just had the time to fabricate a nice cab..........
Well, now I can look forward to spring plowing my garden and the local old tractor club's plow days now that it runs the way it should!
- I'm a 'Happy' Cubber again!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:55 am

Thats great news to hear about your Cub. I have a vague memory of your post awhile back or one similar. I bet also that you are much happier on the Cub than the sears rider. Its a darn good thing you parked it outta sight in the barn too cause if it had been in sniffin-sight it would have been running long ago and now in Bigdogs stable. :evil:
Then came Bronson

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:00 am

Hey Marion! What's this "to hide it from Bigdog" stuff????? :)
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

rear blade

Postby danovercash » Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:36 am

Of course we want pictures!! That gave me an idea (ouch that hurts) to mount my 54-A blade backwards with mount I made for belly mounting. It uses the back cult. holes. then stick something in the F/H to mount the lift arm to, what do you think? May be thinking too much as I already have a 100 rear blade.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:14 pm

Hey Dan-o!

I visited your website(photos) and that FH 100 blade sure looks cool!...I'm thinkin'...one of those hyd blocks.....piping/hoses.....a nifty valve with an old Hurst shifter handle on it......a hyd cylinder.....all with quick-connect of course...some brackets and clamps from the "Never throw anything away Hardware Store" and you've got yourself one sweet back blade with power angle !! Dang- a few feet of lawnmower throttle cable mounted just the right way with a bright orange tip on the end for a position gage and you'd never even have to turn around to take a peek !!! My tractor hasn't been back running for even a week and I'm hooked all over again!
Great pics though.
I'll hunt up the pics I have of my setup and email them to ya. I still don't have the pic post thing figured out.
That FH harrow would sure make quick work of the softball infield too...the grass always manages to creep in.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

100 Blade

Postby danovercash » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:44 am

Interesting idea. Just could not make 359 degree spin. When I work the drive I set angle and pull to center, then turn around backwards to spread gravel. Also works good to pile up leaves after air rake won't move them any further. Note extra weight on back of blade, makes it work much better.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:15 pm

Young man for work, old man for advice

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:58 am

:o "OUCH", Jim that hurt my neck just looking at your backemup push blade. :P
Then came Bronson

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Hudson » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:01 am

Not mine! I just posted pictures for Bryon (57 Lowboy) Maybe he will post the text to go with it.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:15 am

Jim Hudson wrote:Not mine! I just posted pictures for Bryon (57 Lowboy) Maybe he will post the text to go with it.

Jim I just made that little comment because my neck is still pretty sore from surgery on wednesday and when I saw your pics. I thought OUCH that would hurt to use that backblade now.
Then came Bronson

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:34 am

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but as far as I am concerned, rear mounted implements are literally a pain in the rear. This old fat boy don't bend like he used to.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Hudson » Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:33 pm

I cannot look back either. I don't see how you could grade any better than with the blade center mounted. If I wanted a drag I would build one out of some old tires or cross ties.

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:01 pm

I have a rear-mount blade for our Ford and I think the biggest advantage is that you can pull more material (gravel, etc.) behind the tractor than you can push in front of it. The Ford really digs in a pulls well when ditching or crowning a dirt road. Have to agree about turning around to look, though--I'd like to rig up a CC camera, if they made one that worked on 6V
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:26 pm

By the description, I think he mainly uses the rear blade while traveling forward. If you have fine gravel in your driveway, that would leave it smoother than haivng the blade turned around, but would not do as well for shaping it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years

"BACK" blade on my Loboy

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:58 pm

Ok gents, I finally have a few minutes to explain the pics.

The pics Jim Hudson posted are of my 57 Loboy-(Marion), and my doctored-up IH-54 blade setup.

John just about nailed it with his guess. I have little need for grading here, well, the type the Cub is capable of anyhow. What we do have here in central OH is mild snow during the winter. We get our share of inches for a total for the season but it usually falls in regular manageable amounts. If I had a paved drive I would surely opt for the original front mount and scrape it down clean. As you can see in the pics I have a nice clean layer of #57 limestone that I would hate to pick out of the grass come spring!! With about 275' to the house and nearly 400' to the barn, it would take me till the 4th of July to get THAT chore done if I used the blade 'as designed'. So, I devised the set-up you see in the pics. As John said, I most always just drag the blade in forward gear with the curve of the blade facing to the rear away from me. I start in the center of the drive and drag going both ways with the blade angled to throw off to the right. This works very well, with a minimum of 'looking back'. If a decent size 'hill' develops at the edge of the drive I can back up (with the blade still in the same pos) and "push" it off 4 feet to make room to drag the next few snowfalls and still keep my gravel in the drive ! If anyone needs to know exactly what I removed from the frame and lift linkage just let me know. Hope this answers a few questions and quells some skepticism.

Merry snowplowing!!--Marion(57 Loboy)

Return to “Farmall Cub”