This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Problem Starting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
David
10+ Years
10+ Years

Problem starting

Postby David » Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:41 am

Nick

Thanks for the more detailed step-by-step.

I only just put in new plugs, but a friend of mine is suggesting to replace them again, because once they get soaked in gas, they don't work or don't work as effectively he said.

Where the plugs you originally had in there, old or new?

Today I am going to pull the carb, and re-build it. That way I have eliminated one more cause.

David

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Nick C.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Nick C. » Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:59 am

I had Champion D-16 plugs in there from at least a year or two back. I've had this one Cub since March of 2001 and can't even remember if I had ever put new plugs in it! I prefer AutoLite (just my preference), so I went with the AutoLite's site recommended size for this tractor of 3116. Seems okay thus far. I have AutoLite 386's in another Cub .... those plugs came in a tune-up kit I bought from JP-Tractor a while back. They also have worked fine without any problems. Rebuilding the carb never hurts. I have purchased rebuild kits online from various vendors but have found that the best is the one direct from Case-IH. The throttle seats much better than the aftermarket ones. The cost is a bit more ($46 or so compared with around $20), but worth it since I know it fits much better. Remember, I thought I had a carb float problem since I was getting so much fuel pouring out my carb air intake and the bottom of the carb's press fitting, but it just turned out to be that it was flooded from so many start attempts. It is quite deceiving! If you have good air intake suction, spark at the right time, fuel flow, and compression, it should fire without issue. It is quite a simple system. With the plugs removed, you can visually see with a flashlight if your valves are operating free & smoothly. That will eliminate any thought of a possible stuck valve.

JFERGUSON
10+ Years
10+ Years

THANK YOU NICK

Postby JFERGUSON » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:04 pm

MY POOR 48 HAS BEEN SITTING AND DRIVING ME CRAZY FOR 4 MONTHS. I HAVE REPLACED EVERYTHING BUT THE KITCHEN SINK (AND THE SPARK PLUGS) TO NO AVAIL. WELL I TRIED CHANGING THE SPARK PLUGS AND GUESS WHAT? YEP. RUNS LIKE A CHAMP. THE PLUGS I REPLACED WERE LIKE NEW. AGAIN THANKS FOR PUTTING ME ON THE RIGHT TRACK.

WONDER WHAT CHANGING THE KITCHEN SINK WOULD DO????

Return to “Farmall Cub”