This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall cub won't stay running after you disconnect battery

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Farmer Steve
10+ Years
10+ Years

Farmall cub won't stay running after you disconnect battery

Postby Farmer Steve » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:20 pm

I thought the engine would stay running if you disconnected the battery. Mine dies. Is that what it is suppose to do???? If not what is wrong?
Thanks in advance Steve

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:36 pm

Welcome Farmer Steve,

The tractor will only stay running with the battery disconnected if you have a magneto ignition. Except if the mag coil is bypassed. If you have a battery ignition (distributor) the tractor will die when you disconnect the battery.
Which type do you have?
If magneto, check to see if there's an external coil mounted. If so the mag coil has been bypassed and the coil is connected to the battery.

Good Luck

Farmer Steve
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Farmer Steve » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:11 pm

It has a distributor and coil.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:16 pm

That should answer your question.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:07 pm

Most engines equipped with alternators will keep running, but not generators. Also disconnecting your battery while running is risking damage to the generater.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:30 pm

Thanks, John I forgot about that. :oops: :oops:

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:27 pm

If the generator is putting out, it will run a short time after unhooking the battery. Thats the way we always check the generator to see if it is putting out. If it died, the first thing I check is the brushes. If it stayed running and was still discharging, I replace the regulator.

Return to “Farmall Cub”