This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub power

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:46 pm

I've shifted mine the same way and it works fine--the key is to do it correctly without hard jammin'....I've done the same thing with the Ford 641 when the bush hog is on the rear, and no damage in over 30 years.
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:39 pm

Jeff,

I haven't had my 641 that long... only about 7 years. There is a big difference. The 641 has a constant mesh transmission, but the Cub has a sliding gear type, like my early N's. The constant mesh only puts the selector dogs at risk (they all engage at the same time), while the sliding gear type risks the working faces (one at a time carrying all the stress). I wouldn't do it.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:27 pm

People that have been driving tractors for years, and have a good feel for them can usually get away with it, the problem comes when inexperienced, or people that just don't have the hang of it keep on trying.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:33 pm

Malcolm wrote:Even saw a lot of it at the Cubarama last year in the obstacle course competition.

Yeah, but I was driving Schmudlach's Cub at the time.

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:53 pm

The secret to "speed shifting" is to match the speed of the gears, ask a trucker, they have square cut gears too. It is much easier to do with a foot throttle, but if it isn't grinding and you use finesse, it should be ok. The best way to learn is to double clutch, on our 384 and 444, I only use the clutch for starting off now.
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:37 am

Well I got to jump in on this one too! I've never shifted my Cub with out using the clutch butt I will have to say I do it with my Farmall H. Someone once said it was common for oldtime farmers to do it. The first time I did it I was skeemish about the idea butt now its second nature. I do believe that when someone gets real intune with his machine one can become somewhat more exotic in how they operate it. LOL LOL

Malcolm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Malcolm » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:44 am

Now Jim, I purposefully didn't mention anyones' name.
I had great fun watching some of the experts operate the cubs at cubarama and learned a lot also. After the first person speed shifted to a higher gear, most every one following did the same. I think I remember that everyone who downshifted did come to a stop before trying that.
You have to have the right feel for the equipment to do it right. One time I pulled out of our fire station with our old pumper and because I was trying to drive and talk on the radio at the same time, I completely missed 2nd gear and it jammed. The only way I could get back in rhythm was to come to a complete stop and start over. Got some funny looks, but got her going again !

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:34 am

Malcolm wrote:I think I remember that everyone who downshifted did come to a stop before trying that.

Well, maybe not.

I'll let someone else explain how I shifted into reverse too.

But hey, it wasn't my tractor.

Return to “Farmall Cub”