This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Shifter?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Shifter?

Postby Jack Donovan » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:36 pm

I remember in the past, Many post pertaining to the hole at the top of shifter where shift lever comes through, being elongated and wore, Some coments if I remember corectly said that a good repaor was to weld a washer on top, I couldn't find anything in arkives so if any one recalls or knows where it is let me know, Thanks in advance, "Jack" :(

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:31 pm

Jack,

I remember the post. It is in error. :( The hole plays no part in the operation of the shifter unless the lever is broken. Wear at this point to enlarge the hole occurs if, and only if, the inner ball is broken loose from the lever.

Look in your parts manual and you'll see that it is supposed to be all one piece. Please don't weld anything to the top of the shifter... it will make the real repair much more difficult.

If you have difficulty welding the lever back together, bring it over and I'll do it for you, as I have for others. :lol:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:39 pm

A big thanks George, I have never had that part of the shifter apart before, and had it repaired about 20 yrs ago, I couldn't even tell you what was wrong at that time. Never the less the other day when plowing snow the shifter broke and parts whent flying. Able to shift it with a vice grips ,I nersed it into the shop, Ferther inspection told me that the repairman had taped the lower 1" stub and welded a nut to a short pipe and welded that to the upper part of the shifter. This way he was able to spring load the shifter when screwing it back to gether. Not realy A bad repair but I was shocked to see the Inch and a half hole under the top washer cover. Sorry about the long post . and thanks again George, I new you'd come through. :lol: "Jack"

Return to “Farmall Cub”