Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Moderator: Team Cub
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
I started only a couple of days ago with the tear-down of my Cub and I find myself already at a standstill.
Though the cub is rust-free, I'm sure many parts have never, ever been removed and would like to consider themselves permanently adhered to other parts. Case in point: the brake & clutch pedal shafts.
For 2 days, after removing the pins, I've showered them with PB Blaster. Still no hint of them budging under intense hammer. Is there a "puller" that can be used
This may come too late, but a hammer isn't the right tool for the job. The more the shaft is hit on the end, the tighter it fits inside the pedal. Apply a lot of heat to the pedal and at the same time, try to twist the shaft to break it loose. Once it starts to turn, move it as much as possible to break up the rust. You may have to work it the wrong way and clean up the shaft with a file. Once it starts to move any at all, the magic potion can get in where it will do some good.
I recently took one apart that was frozen up so bad the pedal was inoperative. The 24" pipe wrench got its' attention.
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce
Kirk, I had the same problem getting my shaft out. I soaked that sucker daily for 3 days with PB-B and it still would not go past the first brake pedal. I finally got @#$%^&**&^%-off and drove it back in as far as I could and then attacked the end Â½" surface of the shaft with emery cloth and it finally came out. It must have had an unseeable/unfeelabe swelling on the end. They are almost an untolerance fit.
Then came Bronson
I guess I over-exagerated the use of "intense hammer" as I actually used it in conjunction with a blunt cold chisel. But I'm glad you made the point as I was about to get out the big hammer and go to work on it.
Though I've had some heat on them.....probably not enough . Nor have I tried twisting the shafts while under heat. That will be my next attempt!
Thanks for the advice and encouragement.
I'll keep you posted on the progress!
They can truly be a bear to get off. I used a small puller since there is not much room to work and the usual penetrant. I plan to clean up the shaft well when reinstalling.
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty"
'56 FH Cub
(2) '48 Cubs
'75 IH 140 w/1000 loader
C-3 mower, FH Woods 42F, 22 sickle (2), 54A blade, L-54 blade, 194 plow, FH L-38 disk, FH LB disk, 144 cultivators, FH platform carrier
I think I'm going to have to look for a puller that will fit. The right brake shaft has still yet to break free. I've used lots of heat and PBB.....it hasn't budged.
I have the entire floorpan in a vise and am able to work on it there. Luckily, I got the left brake/clutch shaft out so I could at least remove the floorpan......as I have to split her to do the transmission repair. Worst comes to worst, I may have to forfeit the removal of that shaft until it just HAS to be removed. But I really would like to get it out and clean it up.
I'll just keep on it for awhile. but I'm looking for a puller in the meantime.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests