This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oil in the starter

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
howser46
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: howser51
Tractors Owned: farmall cub

Oil in the starter

Postby howser46 » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:54 am

I had my starter rebuilt and there was some oil in it. What could have caused this, a faulty gasket? I fear that this will happen again. How hard a job is it to repair it?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:13 am

Could you have a rear main oil seal that is leaking :?:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Oil in the starter

Postby George Willer » Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:11 am

howser46 wrote:I had my starter rebuilt and there was some oil in it. What could have caused this, a faulty gasket? I fear that this will happen again. How hard a job is it to repair it?

Simple... don't put the oil in there like the last guy did! Some think the Bendix drive should be oiled. They're wrong.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

howser46
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby howser46 » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:56 pm

how much of a job is it to replace the rear main oil seal? The oil may have been there before, but I'm leaning toward a bad seal. Thanks

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:30 pm

Seems to me that if the oil was coming from the rear main seal enough to get into the starter that your clutch would be soaked with oil also. Have you had your hand in the hand hole cover to check if the clutch area is oily?.
Then came Bronson

howser46
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby howser46 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:16 am

I grease that fitting in the spring and I don't remember a lot of oil, but there is a little, it's not drenched.

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:26 pm

howser46 wrote:I grease that fitting in the spring and I don't remember a lot of oil, but there is a little, it's not drenched.

In order to get oil into your starter from the rear crank seal the clutch housing would have to fill over half full which isn't possible as it would drain out the bottom. You would also have had clutch trouble long before that time!!
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:32 pm

Flywheel can sling oil over on the starter drive then it runs in starter. I see it on cars. A Cub looks like to me would be the same. The oil is on the engine side of the flywheel and slings off. Clutch dust soaks up some oil, some runs out behind the pan, some out the hand hole some in the starter.
Young man for work, old man for advice

Yo's Dad
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Yo's Dad » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:35 am

When I was a short weed, I remember taking several starters apart on various pieces of available junk to find the starters totally packed with grease. Oldtimers of the time said that was a practice that some followed. So, don't be surprised to find just about anything, anywhere when you take this old stuff apart.

If your rear main was seriously leaking, you will see the proof on the ground, just below the split line between the rear of your engine and the bell housing.

Just clean it up and replace everything that needs replacing and put it back on. The job is too easy to get worried over.
YD, Grover and Ole Malley
‘Keepers of the Flame’ Image

Return to “Farmall Cub”