This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What type of oil

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kent
10+ Years
10+ Years

What type of oil

Postby kent » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:18 am

My grandfather recently past away and left me his 1951 cub.I am planing on restoring it.Ive got it running .its always had lots of oil leaks i was wondering if someone could tell me what kind of oil they run in theres.Im also having trouble getting the cultivaters to raise up so i can get it in the shop.Im thinking they want raise because its low on fluid to.what type do i need there also.
Thanks KENT
BigBdDddy@aol.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Randy 64 Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Randy 64 Cub » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:31 am

Motor:
SAE 30

Hydraulics:
HyTran
-Finesse is choosing the right size hammer.

-As soon as something is made idiot-proof they make a better idiot.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:38 am

Kent - If you know what your grandfather was using for oil, use the same thing. If you don't know, then your decision is based on what your future plans for the engine are. If the engine runs well and you don't intend to rebuild it, consider using a non-detergent oil. Especially if you see indications of sludge build-up. If you've done an engine rebuild, go ahead with detergent oil to keep it clean. Oil weight is dependent on your local temperature ranges. For most, a 10W-30 oil will be fine. If you want to run straight weight oil, then 30W in the summer and the winter weight will depend on your low temps. Usually a 10W or a 20W. Multi grade oils are fine and solve that problem. Whatever you choose, use good oil, it's a cheap investment. Synthetics are used by many and can also be considered.
The hydraulic system uses IH Hy-tran fluid. You can find it at Case IH dealers or you can find equivalent fluids at most ag related stores such as Tractor Supply Company.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:47 am

I will expand what Randy 64 Cub stated. I use Case/IH fluids in my cubs. In the engine, I use Low Ash 30 wt and in the touch control I use HyTran. I would drain both oils out of the cub and start with fresh oil. Don't forget to change the engine oil filter. The engine will hold three quarts and the touch control will hold 4 1/4 pints. Don't forget to purge the touch control of air once the oil has been changed.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:28 am

Kent:

Welcome to the forum and the world of Cubs! I agree with BD. Larry and Randy. Always use Hy-tran in the touch control unit. Don't forget to burp it to release any captured air bubbles. Use whatever oil you Grand Dad did, but if you are unsure you the Case 30w. Almost any non-detergent would be useful.

If you need info, click the manual link below. Owner's, Part's and Service manuals are there as well as implements. Have a good read and again welcome to the fourm :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

kent
10+ Years
10+ Years

Thanks for the help

Postby kent » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:32 am

I really dont have any idea what oil he used.Its a neat old tractor that runs good but needs alote of attention.its got several oil leaks. first im going to tear it apart and replace all the gasgets. then to the wiring and then off to the body shop for paint.
Thanks for the help. Ill prolly be asking more question as i get further into this restoration project. Anyone have any ideas as to where i could get some of the hard to get parts?ive found alot on ebay.
THANKS AGAIN KENT

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:08 am

Give JP Tractor Salvage a call for any parts you will need.

(573)783-7055

Your closest Case/IH dealer may still have alot of parts you will need, as well. I tend to use my dealer for gaskets, seals, some bearings and other hard parts, and paint (2150 Red).
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:20 am

Kent, I would suggest you use it for a month or two, and make sure you have all the problems fixed before you paint it. It is really discouraging to have a nice shiny tractor and have to split it to put in a clutch, or rebuild the engine.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”