This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Battery Boxes

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Battery Boxes

Postby Rudi » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:55 am

George, BD, Jim and all the restore pros:

I have a question about Cub battery boxes. I have two styles here. One that apparently is an original and one is a repro from Steiner.

The supposedly original does not have the two depressions in the bottom that align with the depressions in the floor pan. The one from Steiner does. It appears to me that the one with the depressions would allow the bolt heads to be lower than the bottom of the battery. On the one with no depressions would a round head be better suited?

Which is correct? Or does it matter?

Anyone have an original to compare with?

Thanks much.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bermuda Ken
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53536
Tractors Owned: Tractors owned past/present:

Farmall.....F-1206, F-806 sn#501.

Cub Cadet...Original(s), 122, Spirit of 76, 1200, 1250, 1450, 782, 782 Diesel (2), 984, 982, CADET 000 LT Prototype.

Postby Bermuda Ken » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:46 pm

I just checked a NOS Cub Battery box I have here at C&G. It has the two depressions for the mounting bolts on it. The part number of the battery box is 538609R2. I think the ones Steiner sells are made by OEM. I still have a few of the old battery boxes left from IH yet.
Cub Cadets....Engineered for people who know better!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:19 pm

My original has the depressions in it. There was a company selling some on Ebay that I was told did not have the depressions. Wonder if your "origianl" could have been replaced at sometime? Get some rubber matting (old conveyor belt would be good), and cut to put in the bottom of the box without depressions. Cut holes in it where the bolts are, so it will be level in the bottom. If you let the battery set directly on the raised bolt heads, they will wear holes in it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:42 pm

I have one form OEM and it is just like the original with the depressions. They told me they made all ther stuff from IH blueprints and had the rights to do it. The tool box was also just like the original in every respect.
Young man for work, old man for advice

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:46 pm

Jim and John:

Thanks, that was what I was afeared of! Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Ken, what is an NOS worth?

Thanks again all.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:12 pm

You can spot one of the cheap reproduction battery boxes from a block away. It always amazes me that some one will put one of the junk ones on thier tractor and then spend a well over a thousand bucks on a paint job. :-)

There is nothing wrong with putting the cheap box on your tractor, I even have one on one of mine but I am not going to put a Dupont paint job on a tractor with one.
Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

Bermuda Ken
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53536
Tractors Owned: Tractors owned past/present:

Farmall.....F-1206, F-806 sn#501.

Cub Cadet...Original(s), 122, Spirit of 76, 1200, 1250, 1450, 782, 782 Diesel (2), 984, 982, CADET 000 LT Prototype.

Postby Bermuda Ken » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:57 am

A NOS box with the lid sells for about $ 133. Not cheap, but if you put one on a scale and weigh it, you'll need at least 3 of the cheap import boxes to equal its weight.

The NOS box is made of STEEL, the imports use "tin foil"....................so yes, you do get what you pay for.

Mike....didn't you know that a "Du Pont" overhaul is THE most important part of any tractor. The mechanicals mean nothing. Steam cleaning is optional too! Be sure to use clear coat paint and die cut vinyl letter decals, then you have the right to call it "original restored"..........
Cub Cadets....Engineered for people who know better!

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:24 pm

UH-OH, HERE WE GO, AGAIN :shock: :!:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Return to “Farmall Cub”