This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mag Coil problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chuck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Mag Coil problem

Postby Chuck » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:33 pm

Maybe one of you fellas has an answer for a friend of mine cause I don't. His dad has a 49 Cub with a mag. He has been experiencing problems with it burning up mag coils of late. Original lasted for 50 years but he has replaced it 3 times since and now needs to again. At first we thought we just "got a bad one" but not 3 in a row! All have been IH parts (mainly cause we haven't been able to find anything aftermarket) one of which only lasted for 32 days (no the dealer would not warranty it). Each time the coil was replaced, so were the condenser and points. Running solid core wires and new plugs also. Only thing I can think of is the magnets in the mag itself may be weak. Never gets worked particularly hard anymore (dad's 87 and mostly just putts around the 40 acres) but never the less is one of those things ya just have to find a proper fix for.
Anyone have any ideas?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:46 pm

Take a good look at the core and see if there are any sharp edges or protrusions that could wear through the coil insulation. Make sure the laminations are still lined up square.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:02 pm

Another tip: NEVER allow the mag to be turned without a place for the spark to go. When the impulse snaps, a spark WILL be produced, and the spark will take the easiest path. If there is no plug wire, etc hooked up, the easiest path may be through the internal insulation, breaking it down. Some other mags have a safety gap to prevent this, but the J-4 does not.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:37 pm

Chuck, Make sure the internal sire from the points to the mag coil isn't rubbing through the insulation and grounding if he is just wanting to keep it running, rather than keeping it original, it is easy to convert it to a battery ignition coil. Remove the internal wire from the points to the mag coil, and the lead from the mag going to the kill switch. Find a place to mount the coil, and run a lead from the + (assuming still positive ground) post of the coil, to the bolt where the kill switch was connected on the mag. Connect the negative - lead of the coil through an on/off switch, to a battery lead. Connect high voltage lead from new coil to distributor cap.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:06 am

make sure the kill switch wire to the mag isn't picking up voltage from somewhere
Jim Turner

Chuck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chuck » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:29 pm

Thanks fella's. We'll be doing some checking on it this weekend and just may try running an external coil to see what results we get. If we find anything noteworthy I will let ya all know. Thanks again, Chuck

Return to “Farmall Cub”