This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission swap

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Transmission swap

Postby George Willer » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:53 am

This tractor has been through a lot of swapping, including the engine last week. It now has it's original engine back in, and in good shape and freed another rebuilt one that will go in Scruffy. (Scruffy is ill on one cylinder).

After I finally got it running, I found that the transmission was a noisy mess. Now I'm swapping to one that I already had rebuilt. This Cub will still have its' radiator cap, radiator, one final drive, and front wheels that haven't been changed yet.

When I opened it up I found a good example of what I have preached about in the past. KEEP THE MICE OUT!

Here's a close-up of the nest. I've seen several like this... built against the front of the transmission. The main problem is their nasty habit of peeing in the nest, making it very corrosive! This destroys the front seal and bearing. That's where most of the noise was coming from.

I thought it might be of interest how I handle the weight of the unit. I can lift it, but it takes the younger guys to carefully guide it into position. So... I carefully block up under the transmission on a rolling dolly before un-bolting it. Then I can set the replacement on the same blocking and easily roll it back into place.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:10 am

George,

I had the same mouse problem in the '45 B I am working on right now. :shock: They had built a nest in the torque tube and in both rear axle housings. :evil: They have been properly evicted for not paying rent :!: :lol:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:34 am

George, The tractors that have nests in them- Did they have missing inspection covers? Just wondering how the mice got in there. My tractor has spent many years in barns and I replaced that cover after I got the tractor.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:47 am

WKPoor wrote:George, The tractors that have nests in them- Did they have missing inspection covers? Just wondering how the mice got in there. My tractor has spent many years in barns and I replaced that cover after I got the tractor.

Yes, the hand hole cover was missing. (but it will be replaced) The previous owner's shop has un-covered walls with pink insulation. One brake band was also full of it. I don't know how to keep them out of the brakes.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:09 pm

"One brake band was also full of it. I don't know how to keep them out of the brakes".

HERE KITTY, KITTY, KITTY :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:56 pm

Here's what mine looked like when it was split. Those bright blue things are fibers from the blue plastic tarp that was covering it in the shed.

Sorry for the earlier GIANT photo!
Last edited by Don McCombs on Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:24 pm

Wow..... Nice pictures.

George & Don - Any way that could be cleaned out without breaking the tractor in half?

Don. Please lower your pixels on the pic width. Takes me a while to read the posts .... going back & forth. Is there a way around going back & forth?
Ron

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:29 pm

George, your cub is starting to remind me of the guy that said he had his Grandfathers axe. It had the handle replaced 5 times, and the head twice, but it was still the same axe.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:30 pm

The only way to prevent going back and forth is to reduce the size of the pictures.

Looks to me like a good cat would be a Cub's best friend.

Oscar Meier
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Oscar Meier » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:50 pm

I have a truck that I keep up most of the winter in an un-heated garage and mice are always a big problem. I have found a few mothballs left on the floor boards and a small open bowl under the hood do a pretty good job of keeping the mice out.

Of course if you want to go for a drive you have to take the mothballs out; but, it's better than mice nest.

You might try an open box of mothballs or spreading them under the tractor while it is up for awhile.
48 CUB & 52 Super A

Indiana Robinson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Indiana Robinson » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:13 pm

I don't try to discourage mice... I try to kill them. :twisted: I have a problem with mice in trucks, tractor cabs and in all of the combine. Dang lazy cats... I buy rat bars by the bucket. I keep a bar in the trucks in the cab and in the tractor cabs. In the combine I keep a bar in the cab and another down in the back in the chaffer area underneath where the cats can't get to the bar. I figure every mouse I kill in one of them is one less to attack a non cab tractor (like the CUB).
"farmer"
1947 CUB named "Major"
5 other red ones
JD-A
MM-R
AC-C
MF-165D-HA)
2 Case VACs
MH-Pony
2 Ford 8Ns
Ferguson TO-20
Everything needs something, some need almost everything.

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:18 pm

Robinson wrote:I buy rat bars by the bucket. I keep a bar in the trucks in the cab and in the tractor cabs. In the combine I keep a bar in the cab and another down in the back in the chaffer area underneath where the cats can't get to the bar. I figure every mouse I kill in one of them is one less to attack a non cab tractor (like the CUB).

I guess you have to be real careful when your eating a sandwich and working the tractor at the same time! (Don't drop & pick up any snacks or something......)

Don. You flushed your picture before I had a chance to save it !
Last edited by Ron L on Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron

Indiana Robinson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Indiana Robinson » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:10 pm

One night I was feeling my way around the chicken house in almost pitch dark and bumped my head. My bubble gum fell out of my mouth and on the floor. I must have tried 20 pieces before I found the right one... :D
"farmer"
1947 CUB named "Major"
5 other red ones
JD-A
MM-R
AC-C
MF-165D-HA)
2 Case VACs
MH-Pony
2 Ford 8Ns
Ferguson TO-20
Everything needs something, some need almost everything.

Oscar Meier
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Oscar Meier » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:08 pm

I quit using poision because I had trouble with mice crawling into hidden spots and dieing. That's a real stink for about two weeks.

I used the type that was supposed to make the mice leave and seak water; but, it only seemed enough to slow them down for the cat or dog to catch them and maul the mouse to death.

One of the better traps is a tall beer bottle with about 2" of beer in the bottom. The mouse gets in the bottle; but, can't get back out - kinda grissly when you find six dead mice floating in a beer bottle. hea! at least they are not in your truck or tractor.
48 CUB & 52 Super A

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:13 pm

Oscar Meier - I take it you are VERY careful while drinking beer in your shop :!: lest you grab the wrong bottle :lol:

is the trap bottle right side up? or on it's side?

a variation of that theme is to use a soda bottle with a little soda left in it at picnics. the yellow jackets can get right in, but cannot escape.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Return to “Farmall Cub”