Cub rescue progress

Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:25 am

I have started a pictoral record of the rescue of my cub, by Bud, Bud, and Russ You can see the beginning here ... d=11054800

I bought this 49 Cub in the early summer of 2002. It was in fairly good shape, with the exception of the engine being in bad need of an overhaul, and the torque tube having been broken and welded 30+ years ago. I made the needed minor repairs, and used it all summer to verify it's condition. The week after Cubarama 2002, I began a tear down with the intention of refurbishing it. I am not a restorer. My projcts are normally done with usefulness being the primary concern, and looks being secondary. This cub however had all the goddies, complete battery and tool boxes, good lights, crank clips, crank with spinner, etc. I even built a magneto out of parts to replace the jury rigged battery ignition system. Having all these things in it's favor I planned to give appearance more attention than I normally would. I was about 2/3 of the way through the tear down when my health began to give problems. Over the last year and a half, I have had back treatments, and a hip replacement, while the cub just set there partially dismantled. A big problem has been the fact that I am not recovering normally from my hip replacement. I was giving serious consideration to selling it when Cub-bud, his Dad, and rleggitt volunteered to come to my rescue. Having a second cub will be a definite advantage for me. Changing attachments has become quite a challenge for me, and this will allow me to leave the mower on one and the grader blade on the other. Since I have nearly a mile of road to maintain, and 2 1/2 acres to mow (going to have to cut back on that), it will be a big help.

Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:47 am

Hi John

I looked at the pictures and glad to see your project is getting under way.
I haven't read the board for about a month and was wondering how the project was going and if started yet. Hope everything turns out great.

:D PAUL K. in N.H.

Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:22 am

Start of the project was delayed due to our beautiful Missouri weather. For some reason, those Mississippi boys didn't want to come to Missouri when the temperature was 10 degrees, and there was a thick layer of ice and sleet on the ground. :lol: