This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need help on rear axle problem.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jeff D. N.E. Wis.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Need help on rear axle problem.

Postby Jeff D. N.E. Wis. » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:42 pm

I am finally getting around to putting our 49 Cub back together after having been apart for 2 years. On the rear axle housing, I replaced everything. Housing, axle shafts, diff. shafts, bearings, seals, etc.

I started putting the left axle in the housing according to the service manual. Pressed the bearings on the shaft till they came to the shaft shoulder, pressed the bearing cups to the shoulder, and put the spacers where they need to go. When I check for bearing preload, their is none. In fact the entire shaft still moves back and forth about 1/16" of an inch. I do not have any small shims in place as the book states.

Questions I have are: 1) The bearing cups do need to be pressed in to the bottom, correct?
2) Must I shorten the large shaft spacer some?

Any comments are welcome. Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Michael Az
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Michael Az » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:33 pm

To answer a few questions, yes all the bearing cups are bottomed against the shoulders. It sounds like you might have a spacer or shims missing since you mention about 1/16" movement with the axle. Reading your post again you mention you have the spacer but not the shims. You need them. I'm not sure if all dealers would have them in stock or not. Maybe Bermuda Ken will jump in if he has some. Worst case scenario would be to make your own shims. If you need to go this route we will tell you how. I wouldn't alter the spacer.
Michael

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:29 pm

Jeff,

Michael is correct; you’ll need the shims to get the specs correct. I’ve seen those types of shims in hardware stores.

I’ve had a few of those final drives apart and never had one be within specs as far as end play. I guess the final drive turns so slow the factory never was concerned about the proper clearance.

I’m driving one now that has more than 1/8”. It’s been like that for 50 years.

Jack Fowler

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

final drive shims

Postby Paul_NJ » Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:43 pm

Sounds like something is wrong in your assembly other than the shims. My understanding is that adding shims reduces preload. When I rebuilt my final drives last summer I had to remove shims to increase preload upon reassembly with new seals and the original bearings, presumably to compensate for bearing wear. If you have that much slack without any shims, adding them will only make things more "loose". Do you have the tapered spacer going in the correct direction?

Also, all the shim sizes were readily available at the local Case dealer.
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

Michael Az
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Michael Az » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:23 am

Paul, if I remember right, the shims are between the bearings. If you add shims it would increase the preload as the shims would be taking up space.
Michael

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:49 am

Yes the more shims the more preload. The shims are under the inside bearing. This is a link to Rudi’s site.

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/I&T%20IH-50%20Shop%20Manuals/IH-50%20Condensed/Page%2040.jpg

Jack Fowler

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

preload vs shims

Postby Paul_NJ » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:30 am

I may be all wrong on this, but I thought the other way around. And I thought this is what I saw after pressing the axles in and out of the final drives more times than I care to remember last summer, trying to get the correct shim spacing/preload after my rebuild.

Using the numbers from the Parts Book, I figured since the outer bearings(17/19), Spacer (20), gear, and Inner spacer (22) are all up solid against the axle, and the Inner Cup (25) is held by the drive housing, the shims set how deep the Inner Bearing (23) can set into the Inner Cup (25) as you crank down on the Axle Nut. That is, the shims hold the Inner Bearing out of the Cup a bit. Adding shim increases the spacing between the two. The preload or bearing drag is how tight the bearing is set. The tighter the bearing, the greater the preload.

My experience was that I kept adding shims in an attempt to get the required preload, and it went the other way. I actaully went so far as to put all of the shims from both drives into one side. I was getting nowhere adding shims. It wasn't until I actually took all of the shims out that I could get near the preload the manual called for.

Of course it was a hot summer and maybe all that cleaning solvent dulled my senses. . . .
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

Jeff D. N.E. Wis.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jeff D. N.E. Wis. » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:05 am

Paul, you ask if I have the tapered shim washer in the right direction. I have it in with the taper facing the bearing cone. This is correct?

Also, I to was under the impression that the more shims you add the less preload you have. Right now I have no (thin) shims in.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Michael Az
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Michael Az » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:36 am

After looking in the manual, I do believe Paul is right. My brain is getting too old to try and remember this stuff anymore. Now for Jeff's problem. If you don't have any shims in place and there is still lateral movement of the axle, it would appear to me the new bearings would have to be out of tolerence, or some other problem. But 1/16" would be off the chart! If you put in new bearings, check the width of the old inner races against the new races. You may not have mic's or a caliper, so use an adjustable wrench. Put the width of the race in the jaws of the wrench and adjust wrench so you can just feel a drag when you pull on the race. Remove the race and see how the other race "feels". Should be the same. Something is wrong and it would be nice to find it. If you can't find anything wrong, then the spacer could be shortened the amount the axle is moving + .015 or .020 so you can use shims to get the preload. Spacer can be shortened with a lathe, milling machine or surface grinder. If you have a micrometer, you could do it at home with a file, just be sure to keep end of spacer square.
Michael

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:59 pm

Paul’s correct, I don’t know what I was thinking and I’ve had those final drives apart many times. :oops:
Thanks Paul for getting my head straight. I’ll go along with Michael; if everything is correct you can shorten the spacer.

Jack Fowler

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

I now have this problem

Postby EZ » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:04 pm

Today I replaced the left axle oil seal, diff. oil seal, and some gaskets on the final drive. I ended up with too much pre-load, about 45 in/lbs., plus the bull gear has some side to side slop. The axle is nice and snug, but I think I will need to add a shim(s) to get the required pre-load of 10-20 in/lbs. The side to side slop is only about a 1/32" but is noisy.
I'm wondering how Jeff made out. Seems like he could get no pre-load and may have had to shorten the spacer some. I see in the parts manual, that there are about 4 sizes of shims available. I'll either try to make some or get from IH. Anybody else working on one of these lately?
Just Do It !

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:15 pm

Gentlemen,

I have re-consulted my parts and service manual. Ibelieve I have this one figured out. What it appears to me is that you have two angled
surfaces fitting one inside the other. This would be the cone bearing and the angled surface of the bearing retainer. Now, with that said, the farther
apart you have the two surfaces the less friction you have on them
hince preload. The "shims" that I see in the parts manual is what pushes
or "retains" those two angled surfaces apart. Thus, the more "shims" the
farther apart the two surfaces.

If I am wrong on this please use a Woods deck mower belt on me. I can
be hardheaded at times.

Lewbish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Rear Axle preload

Postby Lewbish » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:10 am

Gentlemen, I'm new to the forum. I am using the reply function hoping several or all of you who were posting on this ( one year old topic) may see this and help me get going on my axle assembly. I'm not in a big hurry as I'm still procuring parts. My first question is: Does the large gear , 70 teeth, I think, get squeezed or does it float with looseness? After I hear back from someone I will post additional information about the things I found on disassembly. Thanks, Lewis Bishop in Keota, OK

DRaymond
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 99223
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub 13747 "Marie"
1948 FCub 16109 "Lizzie"
1948 FCub 44181 "Gussie"
Cub-54A Leveling & Grader Blade
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Need help on rear axle problem.

Postby DRaymond » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:50 pm

Putting my final drive together and was reading this discussion but I must have missed the answer to this question: "Paul, you ask if I have the tapered shim washer in the right direction. I have it in with the taper facing the bearing cone. This is correct?"

Is that correct? taper facing the bearing cone.?
DT Raymond
Spokane, WA
48 FCUB - Marie
48 FCUB - Lissie
48 FCUB - Gussie
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grader Blade

Return to “Farmall Cub”