This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Just arrived, lot's of questions.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dennis H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Just arrived, lot's of questions.

Postby Dennis H. » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:22 pm

Greetings all, I am a recent purchaser of a '48 Cub and know pretty much nothing about it. Seems to be in very good shape as it starts right up and purrs like a kitten.

There is some slight noise from the drive gears while not under a load (I've only used it to drag some utility poles around). I am not even sure how to check the transmission fluid, but am assuming the fill plug is what's located directly behind the gear shift ??? I am suspecting it may be low, hence the noise?

I'll have numerous more "rookie" questions and appreciate your patience with my lack of knowledge. I definitely can relate to being able to enjoy seat time with my first ever tractor. Dennis H.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:32 pm

Dennis. Welcome to the board. This is the place to learn about cubs. No question is dumb so don't be afraid to ask. The people here are very knowledgable and more than willing to help. Read the announcement at the top of the forum for "New Members". Again ... welcome.
Ron

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:41 pm

Dennis, welcome aboard. I suggest the first thing to do is to order an owners manual, which you can get from your local Case/Ih dealer, or on line from http://www.binderbooks.com If you do your own mechanicla work also get the parts and repair manuals. In the mean time you can go to Rudi's web site to see manuals.

Yes the fill plug is behind the gearshift. The level plug is on the left side down low (only holds about 3 pints). A little whine is normal, the transmission gears are square cut.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Dennis H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dennis H. » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:00 am

Appreciate the welcomes and info. I can see that this tractor stuff will be easily addictive. The wife likes it better than some of my other hobbies, so far.

My Cub is also not equipped with a generator, although the gentleman I bought it from gave me a couple. One appears original and the other a rebuilt. Both look pretty rough and don't know if either is good. Right now the 6 volt battery must be charged which has lasted for numerous starts but will eventually run down and need charged again. I'd like to get the lights hooked up also. Should I get the generator checked and replace or install an alternator which has been suggested by some non-Cub owning friends?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:58 am

Dennis:

Again, to echo Ron and John, welcome to the board and to the Cub Family. I am sure that you are going to be very happy with your 48. I have a 48 and a 51 - the 48 is Elie-Mae and she runs like a top (after some serious TLC) and Jethro is the 51 who is in dire need of a rebuild :roll:

Couple things.

First take your generator to a good shop and have them bench test it and repair it if need be. You will be glad you did.

Second, install your generator. There is no need to convert to 12 volts as must be done if you install an alternator. There are many views on this, but I look at it this way, it was designed as a 6 volt system - positive ground, has worked for nigh on to 60 years, don't monkey with it :!:

Ellie is still a 6 Volt system and she works beautifully.

Third, visit the Manual Server and read up on the stuff available on the server and through the links, especially the Cub Info, Cub FAQ's, the Best of H.L. Chauvin and then the Owner's Manual.

Fourth, as John has already said, go to Binder Books and get these three manuals:

Owner's Manual
TC-37F Parts Manual
GSS-1411 Service Manual

These were the first things I bought when I bought my tractors and they have been invaluable.

Also, check out the Blue Ribbon Service Manuals - the Generator is extremely well covered and should help you put it back together. Also, the whole electrical system is covered and is a very good guide for putting it all back together as well.

Fifth - and this is the important one - ENJOY YOUR CUB!!!! She will give you tons of fun and enjoyment over the years.

Again welcome to the world of Cubs
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”