This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fan/pulley bracket

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stu_Estler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Fan/pulley bracket

Postby Stu_Estler » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:28 pm

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I'm the keeper of a 1953 Model C, and am trying to put on a new fanbelt. Seems like a simple enough job, but I can't loosen the fan/pulley assembly to slide it down in the bracket. The only nut I see is the one on the back of the bracket - the bracket flanges keep me from getting a wrench on it squarely, and I'm afraid of rounding it if I put too much force on it at an angle. The belt that broke was the original :shock: so the nut has had 50 years to get comfortable where it is.

This is a working tractor and I'm not likely to disassemble half of it to get this done. Has anyone had any experience with this or can offer any advice?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:42 pm

I'm not very familiar with a C, but your description sounds as if it is a similiar set up to a cub. If it is, you don't turn the nut. The shaft has a hexagon shape like a bolt head between the bracket and the fan pulley. You turn that to loosen it, and hold the nut stationary.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:00 pm

:idea: If by chance you cant get it off you might try using a linkable fan belt that adjusts to any size. No need to remove anything, Just route it around the pulleys and attach the ends to fit. Thats what I used to use on my old J.D. Dozer to save the trouble of pulling the whole front assembly off.
Then came Bronson

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:27 pm

Stu, welcome to the board!! :) John is right, the fan shaft has a hex shaped "nut" right behind the fan pulley, and you turn the shaft rather than the nut on the back. It's probly covered in dirt and grease. You can put a new belt on without removing any parts, it's snug, but it can be done. Slide it in around and over the fan first, then loop it down under the crank pulley. You may have to turn the engine over with a hand crank to get it in under the crank pulley. Good luck. :D
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Stu_Estler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Fan/pulley bracket

Postby Stu_Estler » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:06 pm

John, Johnbron, "Parts Man" - thanks for your quick replies. I thought that this might be the case. Mine looks more square than hex shaped, but I though that might be what the shape was for. Next problem, that space is too narrow for the wrenches I have to fit in there. I guess I need to grind them down to fit. I'll feel a little better going through that now, knowing it is the right solution. :roll: Guess I can make a few cardboard mock-ups to check the size, so I'll at least be grinding the right one!

Johnbron - in case this doesn't work for me, where would I find a linkable belt? Are they fairly common? Sounds like a good solution.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:20 pm

Stu:, I am not sure where you would buy them locally. I used to get mine from my neighbor that he brought home from his work place. They are always on eBay also but too much quanity for my needs. You can do a V-Belt search on google and you will find many sources.

Just to give you an idea of what they look like I found this picture page link to Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ures&img=2
Then came Bronson

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

re. they are called link belts or v belts

Postby Bruce Sanford » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:08 pm

you can pick these up at any wood/working store as you can see they are used on table saws and other equipment.Usually sold by the foot.They are very very strong I use them myself on my tools. :lol:

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

re linkbelt

Postby Bruce Sanford » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:11 pm

the name brand is PowerTwist Plus . I must tell you look for the arrow on the belt,it must run in that direction.Once you join the belt turn it inside out so joints are tabs are on the pulley :lol:

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:51 pm

Stu, if memory serves ( it rarely does! :lol: ), that would take a 13/16" wrench.
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:22 pm

Someone should point out that even with a belt that can be assembled in place, it will still be necessary to loosen the fan shaft for final adjustment. With the fan shaft loosened, why not use the right belt?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Stu_Estler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Fan/pulley bracket

Postby Stu_Estler » Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:51 pm

Success! After grinding down the second wrench (yep, it's 13/16th's) I was able to get it in there and loosen it just like it's supposed to work. Worked the belt on, got everything tightened back up and ... "chug, chug chug"!

I am going to look for the Power Twist Plus belts anyway. That looks like something I need to have around, "just in case".

Thanks so much for all your help. This is a great forum with a great bunch of people; hope I can be on the giving end when someone else needs help sometime.

Stu

Return to “Farmall Cub”