Installing clutch assemby

Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:52 am

I don't have a pilot shaft. How can I install the clutch assembly?

Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:03 pm

I have made them from broom handles. These universal tools are around $28 don't know if it will go small enough. Measure your shaft and grind the broom handle on your emery wheel or lathe if you can find a wood worker. GW has made lots of them I think.

Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:18 pm

Do you know anyone who has installed it loose and tightend it through the access hole after installing the engine?

Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:19 pm

I DID THIRTY YEARS AGO. USED 3/8 drive flex socket. split another cub this past winter, GEORGE WILLER SAID I COULD EYEBALL IT FOR ALIGNMENT, went together first try.
BILL

Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:28 pm

I put one together loose, and then tightened it after assembled, works but a little tedious. I later went to an auto supply place, and got a $4.95 plastic alignment tool. They had one that would fit the pilot bushing, but not the splines, so I stuck it in a drill, and turned it against a grinder until I had it worn down enough to go through the disk. It didn't fit the plines, but all thet was needed was for it to hold the disk centered, slipping into splines wasn't critical.