I found this

Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:14 pm

I was out cleaning my tractor and found this stamped on a macine finished space just above the oil filler cap. The stamp read :FCUBM 98357.
What does this mean? I meant to ask this earlier, hoe do you get onboard these cubs? That is a long streach for me. The floorboard comes to the middle of my thigh. I stand 5'8 I know that is short but WOW what a reach. Is there supposed to be a step ?
Thanks again guys. I get this straight one of these days :oops:

Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:14 pm

That is the engine serial number

If you will search the archives, you will find some steps that have been made. I think Rudi also has the frawings for some on his manual website. There are a couple of different types on Ebay on a regualr basis. I used to be 5'10, but with age am now 5'8. If I don't have the blade or mower mounted, I put my left foot in the wheel weight to get on.

Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:21 pm

Big O,

Congratulations! You've found the serial number of your engine. If it's the original engine, it should be a somewhat higher number than your tractor's serial number.

Climbing aboard a Cub can be a challenge... especially for us seniors. There are a number of solutions to the problem. I have a web site for a few of the possibilities... http://members.toast.net/photos/album.asp?user=gwill&album=Cub_step

The one noted as "roy step" is being reproduced in TN as a copy of one available originally.

Can you build your own? If so, look at "stepfrontside".

I'll have to design a new step for our first Low-Boy which just arrived today. I've climbed up there several times already, and even the shorter ones are a challenge.

I found this

Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:51 pm

George, Thanks for info. The number is higher than serial No. which is 97744. Yes , I can build a step , I was for years a welder and fabricator,and thanks for the site address.What does fcubm mean ? Does the no. also indicate '49 ?
Thanks so much !

Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:24 pm

Copied from GW's picture.

Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:38 pm

"I'll have to design a new step for our first Low-Boy which just arrived today".

We sure would like to see a pic of the new addition. 8)

Re: I found this

Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:46 am

Big O wrote:What does fcubm mean ? Does the no. also indicate '49 ?
Thanks so much !

FCUBM was a standard prefix that IH used on the cub engine serial numbers. Here is a link to TM Tractors website with engine and casting numbers.
http://www.tmtractor.com/id/id_001.htm