This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission Seal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Transmission Seal

Postby Harold R » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:29 am

I took my '49 out for a spin yesterday to do some driveway grooming. I only worked it about 30 minutes with the belly blade, just moved gravel around.
This morning when I opened the shop, there under the cub was a puddle the size of a manhole cover.....90wt. gear oil. I can see fluid in the slot on the final drive, left side. Retainer bearing seal gone...it's what I think anyway. I have some work ahead, I do believe. It's had a "growl" in 1st and reverse ever since I got it. Guess this is the chance to repair the whole tranny. :evil: With planting just a few weeks away, guess my '74 will be doing double duty.
HR

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:40 pm

Well, it wasn't pretty. I haven't a clue how this happened. I pushed loose gravel for about 30 mins. No strain at all. Looks as if it busted the collar, and put some load onto the seal itself, which was torn up as well. Anybody seen this before? Looks like another differential to be ordered. This was on the left side, and the final drive shaft had a couple of dings, but I think I can polish them out.
HR
http://home.jam.rr.com/hroberts/Busted%20Diff..jpg

http://home.jam.rr.com/hroberts/Busted%20Diff2.jpg

Michael Az
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Michael Az » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:26 pm

Hr, it looks to me like it was caused by a "shock load" like running into an imovable object. It could have happened years ago before you owned the tractor. Look closely at the break itself and see if there is any discoloration which would mean it is an old break. The seal was probably destroyed when the pieces of metal got to it. Like you say, now you have a good chance to rebuild everything. Make sure you have the shop manual so you can set up the new differental properly.
Michael

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:16 pm

I just finished tearing the transmission all the way down. The pinion gear had a big chunk out of a tooth, and the 1st and rev. slider gear had some wear. All the bearings looked good with the exception of the left side differential. I've got another diff. w/pinion shaft on it's way from TM, plus ordered a new slider gear from the Case dealer on TM's web site.
The rest of the transmission looked OK. The tractor was a "roll over" victim. May have had excessive side load to crack the differential.
HR

Return to “Farmall Cub”