This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New cub lo boy owner needs help

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Slimedcj5
10+ Years
10+ Years

New cub lo boy owner needs help

Postby Slimedcj5 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:28 pm

Hi Everybody

I recently purchased a 1956 Lo boy to help cut my 5 acres of grass.I found an IH c3 mower deck in excellent shape and found nos brackets and pulley set ups to finish the install.

I finally got it all together tonite and when i put the PTO lever back and go to pull out it takes alot of clutch in and out to get the tractor rollin with out stallin it.Just seems like there is something holding it back.

Secondly i need to keep holding the pto lever back or after about 10ft it will pop out of pto.Is there any adjustments? Could the pto bracket be worn?

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife's ready to shoot me if i spend alot more money

Brian Moyer

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:42 pm

On the lack of power - you might want to check to see if the governor is working correctly. There are several threads in the archives on the proper adjustment procedure. How does it handle just engaging the mower with the tractor still in neutral?
On the pto problem. It is likely that the splines on the pto sliding collar are worn on the ends. There's not a lot of engagement anyway and grinding the pto when engaging quickly chews up the ends. You can loosen and slide the pto lever quadrant (maybe even slot the screw holes some) to add a little throw to the engagement. If you take a link from the home site to Rudi's manual site, you will find cub service manuals, parts manuals & owner's manuals. You can get a visual for how the system works from the diagrams there.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Daniel Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Daniel Stuckey » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:43 pm

You probably have a worn lever (inside the trans) or gear which the lever pushes is worn. I think these can be replaced by taking off the top cover of the trans but I'll that up to someone else as I've never had to replace mine other that having the top off.

As to a tough time getting moving, take off your belt and if the tractor moves ok. If it does I would have to say that it's the spindles on the mower deck. Maybe a good greasing will fix that up.

I'm sure somone else will give a better fix on the pto lever.

Dan Stuckey
Altoona, Pa.
Enjoy life, do what you can, and quit your complaining. This will make life better!

Slimedcj5
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Slimedcj5 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:00 pm

Thanks for some of the quick replies.I'll check out the site on the manuals.

When just pulling out with no pto on

it pulls out great just when the pto is engaged it's a real bugger to get rollin.

If the deck belts are to tight could this cause some of it?

Anyone near Reading Pa. now of a good shop or willing to help out if needed if i can't remedy.

Daniel Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Daniel Stuckey » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:21 am

Loosen the belt from the pto to the mower. See if it's hard to pull out with the pto engaged. If it's hard, that's your problem. If it pulls out ok, the mower is your problem. Check to see if your mower spindles turn freely by hand.

Dan Stuckey
Altoona, Pa.
Enjoy life, do what you can, and quit your complaining. This will make life better!

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:07 am

Slimedcj5,

Been there, done that. The C3 is a lot of mower for the Cub to get spinning. I feel your pain!

If you haven't already, perform a complete tune up (including checking the carburetor fuel level) and do a compression check with all the plugs out. If the compression is much under 100 psi, the Cub is going to struggle with a 5' rotary mower. Also, check all 3 spindle bearings and make sure the blades are sharp.

While you are checking governor operation, look for play in the rockshaft running across the radiator from the governor to the adjustment clevis. Specifically where the shaft enters the collar holding the stubby spring. This delays governor response to open the throttle as the engine needs power. "Best of HLChauvin" has a fix for this and it really works if you follow the directions.

Lurker Carl

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:26 pm

I had the same problem about losing power when i engaged the mower on my loboy as well. The problem was tht mower spindles needed to be greased and the fuel bowl needed cleaning. I hope it will be an easy fix for you.[/u]

Return to “Farmall Cub”