Help from good friends

Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:21 pm

One of the best things about a group like this is the mutual help friends offer. I was in need of a set of tie rods for one of my projects which were sent to me by our good friend Merlin. He sent a beautiful set and they were here waiting on my workbench when this lo-boy showed up.

Image

Here are Merlin's tie rods on their new home.

Image

It was my intention use them to make up a pair of non-adjustable tie rods to go with the standard axle I got from John *.?-!.* cub owner. I did that yesterday using just the ends from the hopeless set and installed them today. Many may not have ever seen a standard Cub axle.

Image

This tractor is "Bud". He's had the engine rebuilt, transmission rebuilt, final drives replaced, radiator tank repaired, touch control overhauled, steering rebuilt, front end replaced except for one hub, and will have a replacement hood. The next thing will be to get the charging system working. Note the sticks holding the wheels in position while adjusting alignment. The back one is 1/4" longer than the front one.

I intend to use the original radiator cap but will use a safety gas cap. :lol: :lol:

Thanks again, Merlin and John. Your help is really appreciated.

Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:43 pm

George
looks a lot like the one I got a couple of weeks ago . Got most of the parts to put mine back like it belongs except the two Oval Lo-boy emblems that go on the dog legs, looked all over can't find a pair anywhere. I will keep looking.
I am painting mine yellow and white is the wheels and grille all that is supposed to be white?
Thank You Sir:
Ralph

Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:47 pm

I think white should be on the grill, the front wheels and the rear wheel disks.

Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:00 pm

George, I agree with you, some of the best friends in the world are on this board.

Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:05 pm

Ralph wrote:George
looks a lot like the one I got a couple of weeks ago . Got most of the parts to put mine back like it belongs except the two Oval Lo-boy emblems that go on the dog legs, looked all over can't find a pair anywhere. I will keep looking.
I am painting mine yellow and white is the wheels and grille all that is supposed to be white?
Thank You Sir:
Ralph


Ralph,

Yes, they could almost be twins. This one is a '58. I think mine spent its' life working for a school system. Too bad the operators learned how long it was by the Braille method. I hope your grille was more easily straightened. Mine was badly battered, but fortunately, the hood is in very good shape with only two very small dings.

Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:49 pm

George how long are the sticks? that looks like a good way to line up with. thanks farmallplowboy

Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:04 pm

farmallplowboy wrote:George how long are the sticks? that looks like a good way to line up with. thanks farmallplowboy


The length varies. Measure the distance between tires front and back and add the numbers. Divide by two and cut the front one to the result. Cut the back one 1/4" longer. The extra length will provide a little tension to hold them in place and also provide the toe-in.

Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:25 pm

Thanks George i see now. thanks for your help. farmallplowboy

Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:39 pm

George Willer rules on Cubs...the envy of all Cubbers. I want to be like George.

How many Cubs can one man have?

Does anyone REALLY know the number?..or just think they know....

:D :o :D :?: :?:

Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:03 pm

mltiema wrote:How many Cubs can one man have?

Does anyone REALLY know the number?..or just think they know....

:D :o :D :?: :?:



I would think approximately 1066 per acre ..............