This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

First Pass

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dennis H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

First Pass

Postby Dennis H. » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:04 pm

Well, after busting a few knuckles I got my belly mower on Ole '48. After throwing the belt a couple times and relealizing I had the wrong pulley on the PTO, I put the right one on and took off.

Question: The mower really bogged down when I started mowing, almost killed the engine. Had it about half throttle in first gear. Is there a trick to this? I was hoping to use Ole '48 to mow the pasture and ditches along the road but I don't know if she'll handle it. Mainly fescue that's about 6" tall and fairly thick right now.

The mower is a Sun Master Kub Kutter made in Olathe KS., 42" cut. Any suggestions? Thanks guys, you've helped more than you realize with my new toy, er, I mean tool. (the wife may be reading this).

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:23 pm

Good sharp blades will help. You might also try taking half a swath on the first pass until you get it down to a manageable length.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Re: First Pass

Postby Dennis » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:19 pm

Dennis H. wrote:

The mower is a Sun Master Kub Kutter made in Olathe KS., 42" cut. Any suggestions? Thanks guys, you've helped more than you realize with my new toy, er, I mean tool. (the wife may be reading this).

Hey Dennis, I have a Sun Master Kub Kutter manual around some where, if you want it, send me your address off line and I'll find it and sent it to you. You're the first person I know that has one...
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

Code: Select all

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: First Pass

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:31 pm

Dennis H. wrote:Had it about half throttle in first gear.

Push the throttle the rest of the way open.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:32 pm

dennis H, if your KUb Kutter has the same arrangemen of shields around the deck as a Woods, you cna remove all of them for heavy cutting. Wouldn't reccomend doing it when cutting around house, due to throwing debris it hits.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Dennis H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dennis H. » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:47 pm

Thanks guys. I'll try it again on Sunday as my daughter is pre-enrolling at ESU tomorrow and my Sat. is pretty well tied up.

I did sharpen the blades prior to installing the mower. You wouldn't believe the amount of wire and bailing string I cleaned out that had wrapped around the shaft from years past.

What I did get cut looks a whole lot nicer than what the Craftsman cut. I think I'll give it to the wife.

Michael Az
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Michael Az » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:46 am

You might want to check the level of the mower. If the front of the mower is higher than the rear, it will require twice the power to drive it. As the front of the mower passes over the grass it cuts then has to cut again as the rear passes over because it is in a lower position than the front. Anyway, thats how they work here in the sand.
Michael Az

Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44

Postby Ike » Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:53 pm

Dennis H.

I hope you enjoyed your day here in Emporia. :D

Ike

Dennis H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dennis H. » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:01 am

Ike,

Glad to see another Kansan on here. We did enjoy the day in Emporia except for the fact that I didn't get to spend much time at Bluestem. This is the second daughter I'll have at ESU so I have twice the reasons now to go back.

Is there any way to change the height of cut at the back of the mower? When I head to the ditches I will want to keep it much higher as they are somewhat steep and not the smoothest.

Dennis (47 Cub), thanks so much for the offer. I sent you a pm with my address. The manual may answer my questions so I don't need to bug you guys with my rookie inquiries.

Return to “Farmall Cub”