This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub in pickup

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Suspension and Brakes

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:39 am

Jim Becker wrote:
MADDOG355 wrote:A friend of Mine has a 99 Silverado shot bed. . .

So he has already been hauling tractors in it??
I've seen a few of them in my part of the country. Usually came from the girls father not liking the boy.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

MADDOG355
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MADDOG355 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:20 pm

:oops: Ok I fixed it

New I got up too early this morning.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:52 pm

OK, Gotta take the heat off of Chris. Take a look at this A with a mower in a half ton pick-up. (Thanks for the picture Chris!!!)
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:54 pm

Bigdog,

There's daylight under the front wheels of the truck :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:56 pm

I'm sure there was. Especially with any slight bump in the road!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:54 pm

We've all of us done things that weren't too bright at the time. About 13 years ago I loaded my cub and a few attachments in a 4x8 trailer, and threw the rest of the attachments along with the wheel weights in the back of my pick and brought it all through the hills from West Plains Mo. to Potosi, Mo. In case your wondering what was dumb about this, the pickup was a 5 year old 4 cylinder Ranger with manual brakes and no trailer brakes. Glad I didn't have to stop in a hurry. :oops:

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:53 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:the hills from West Plains Mo. to Potosi, Mo.

I put it in perspective, the straight line distance for that trip is 100 miles. It is 150 following the roads.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:48 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:the hills from West Plains Mo. to Potosi, Mo.

I put it in perspective, the straight line distance for that trip is 100 miles. It is 150 following the roads.
Add another 25 or 30 for going up and down hills.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu May 19, 2005 7:10 pm

I missed this post when it was happening. My dopy trick like this was 3285 lb of news paper in a 79 Cheve C10. Had the truck less than a week. There was a newspaper drive for new vestiments for the altar boys at church. As a new truck owner I joined in to help. Fortunately it was only 4 miles. Sure was a mushy ride. We stacked it high close to the cab to keep some of the weight in the front. When it scaled that much I decided to make two trips with the other half of the paper.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu May 19, 2005 8:19 pm

Yeah. I missed this post too. The pictures have gone missing.

I did toy with the idea of loading the new cub in the bed of my truck for the ride from Northern VT to RI. Nearest I could figure is that it would fit if I took the mower off and let some air out of the tires I could even close the tailgate. This one has wheel weights all the way around too.

Figured it was about as much effort as going to fetch the trailer and I would leave a friend having to haul the mower, front plow and cultivators AND his hay rake. pretty well a load in itself. But more critical would be how to get it out of the truck!

I agree with the tires... mine are load range E and the truck is 8800 GVWR. I also found the Rancho 9000X (adjustable damping) to be a nice way to 'regulate' the ride and handling.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Thu May 19, 2005 10:36 pm

Since this post my father bought a cub and I hauled it about 20 or so miles home for him in my Sierra including some 65mpg interstate driving. We took my truck for the Cub and his Nissan pickup for implements. We removed the rear wheel weights from the cub and put them with the equipment in his Nissan. Both pickups had quite a load but drove absolutely fine. Remember this time I just had the cub, no implements and no rear wheel weights (tires were liquid filled however).

My only delima was I find it carriers better if I pull the front wheels to the far right of the bed after they pass through the wheel wells (compensates for the offset engine). But, this slight angle means the right rear tire is just an inch or two too far back to allow the tailgate to close. We put it back on after loading the tractor and left it down. I had to use a smaller chain than I would have liked to chain the tractor down to the frame rails as the large one wouldn't fit between the tailgate and the bed of the truck.

Speaking of paper I delivered phone books this year and have some lovely pics of my very overloaded truck full of phone books. I greatly underestimated how many books I needed to deliver and how much they weighed. I know it was heavier than my fathers cub. If this sounds bad think about those compact cars I saw lined up to get phone books--they were cramming them in to the roof in the back seat, passenger seat and of course the trunk. Poor cars.

Return to “Farmall Cub”