This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Steering adjustment help

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Slappy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Steering adjustment help

Postby Slappy » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:14 am

I just finisher a complete overhaul on the adjustable axle front end of my '57 Cub. Replaced all of the axle and steering box bushings and seals. Adjusted the toe in greased everything and filled the box with HyTran.

The steering wheel play went from about half a turn, down to about 2 inches. Here's the problem: the steering has a lot of resistance. The resistance dosen't originate in the axel components - it was "stiff" and hard to turn before I put the axle on.

I'm thinking that it must be either in the shaft (doesn't seem like there is much here to offer resistance), or where the worm gear rests on the lower bushing (before installation, the shaft turned easily in the bushing). I tightened the castellated nut on the bottom of the shaft until it was tight and then backed it off one space. Should I back it off another or perhaps it just needs to break in?

Thanks in advance for the help.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:00 am

This is a longshot and a guess but, do you have weights on the front wheels :?: I put weights on the front of my '49 and they made steering/turning very difficult.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:10 am

Slappy,

You did it right, except that there's no reverse on the castellated nut. Now that you have it adjusted right, don't move it. Just loosen the clamp bolt on the steering arm and just smack it one. That will allow the arm to move a little and take a little pressure off the bushings. Be sure to tighten the clamp bolt tightly when you finish.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Slappy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Slappy » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:13 am

Thanks guys,

It did seem to loosen up a bit when I banged it, and yes a I do have wheel weights. I suppose that the combination of new tight parts, wheel weights and the fact that this is the first time that have spent any time on a Farmall that wasn't a narrow front end may be the reason I think it steers hard.

Anyway the play in the steering was awful before the repair - you couldn't run it fast in 2nd without it shaking, and don't think about third. I thought that I would find a part or two that was responsible, but it turned out to be a combination of lots of things. Parts were in the wrong place, parts were missing and parts were worn out.

All good now though. Play at the steering wheel is maybe 2 inches and no more wobble - just in time to put her back to work! Thanks for all of your help.

Return to “Farmall Cub”