Being road legal

Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:08 pm

As I read part of an article in my new Farm & Dairy paper about farm equip. sharring the road, the risk, civil lawsuits, etc. I was curious as to what would be needed to make an old working 48 Cub road legal. Not that I drive on the road, except for 100' or so on the berm to get to the neighbors drive to plow snow once in a while, nor do I plan on any. Is there a 'grandfather clause'? Not that there is any room for too much safety. I do have a big slow moving vehicle emblem on the back and use the lights and red rear when I'm doing my drive apron.

I also read they are thinking about a new symbol/emblem to reflect many of the new tractors being able to go faster than 25mph since the standard slow moving triangle emblem is for 25mph of less. I guess I won't have to find a place on the Cub to mount that if it comes out....


Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:21 pm

I believe here in Ohio, all you need is the SMV emblem in the daytime and lights at night. Flashing lights improve visibility but are not a requirement at this time. You should be able to find out whatever you need at this link:

Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:51 pm

Here in New Brunswick, all we have to have is an SMV sign. I have both the red tail-light and an amber flashing light as well. Yup - 6 volt flashing light :lol:

Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:15 pm

In Maine, you aren't supposed to operate an unregistered vehicle on the highways at all. When I tried to register my Ford tractor, I was told I had to provide proof of insurance (required by law here for cars). I gave up, and try to stay off the road--although I, too, have to drive a few hundred feet on the road a few times a year.

Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:24 pm

Jeff. Are you telling us that the Amish folk must insure their buggies? Or is that just for motorized vehicles?

Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:44 am

Another quick note about the SMV signs on our tractors.

The signs must be covered up or removed if your SMV is on a trailer for transport (or pickup! ) You CAN get a ticket as there IS a law prohibiting any use other than prescribed by the SMV law. Check with your local State Hwy Patrol.

Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:25 am

This happened many years ago. The words went something like this............

Patrolman: The reason I stopped you was your failure to display a SMV sign.

Me: I'm sorry, I didn't know one was required.

Patrolman: Yes, They're required whenever the vehicle travels less than 25 MPH.

Me: Well, I was going 27 MPH. :twisted:

Patrolman: I'm sorry, Sir, I didn't clock you, so I didn't know. Have a nice day!


On a good day that old Case TLB might get up to 13 MPH! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:06 am

Just respond that your tractor can do 30 so you didn't feel it applied. It can if your heading down a steep hill and it slips out of gear.

I put the SMV sign on the back of my cub when it was in my pickup. With the cub in it I figured I was moving slow enough to need one.

Do y'all find that people try to squeeze between you and oncomming traffic when your driving you cub on the road? My neighbor drives his about 1.5 miles regurally and with the right wheels just on the edge of the pavement. He said the cub is so small people try that on him. I replied I found it better to drive so It took the whole lane so as to prevent such stunts.

Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:33 pm

Thanks Bigdog. I went to the OH DOT website and it is only the SMV emblem and front/rear lights at night as you thought.


Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:59 pm

Chris Jones wrote:I found it better to drive so It took the whole lane so as to prevent such stunts.

For the same reason, it is generally recommended that motorcycles running solo use the left wheel track.

Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:10 pm

Here in New Jersey you have to carry liability insurance. you used to have to have tractor plates but the last governor did away with that. My problem is that my town requires any vehicle to be registered if it is stored outside, I don't run down the road with it because I don't have insurance on it , and it is a 6 month liscence suspension if you get caught, when I have it at my house and its not being used I park it on my trailer which is registered so far no problems. When its at the farm It lives in the pole barn, but every once in a while I do need the loader here.T.J.

Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:18 pm

If you have a farm, you should have liability insurance on the farm, which may include liability for a tractor when it is on a road. If you just have some acreage, liability from homeowners insurance may extend to the property. I believe all these coverages vary from state to state because of individual state insutrance boards.

Bottom line, check with your insurance agent. You may have the required liability coverage and not know it.

If push comes to shove on your town's registration requirement, it probably isn't valid either.

Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:58 pm

They do have a blanket policy on the farm and they do cover me when I am working for them, but it isn't my farm so I am not covered when its here . They enacted this new ordinance a few years ago when a landscaper got a little crazy with parking his equipment all over his yard in the middle of town, basically it was to force his business out of the residential zone. He had pallets of concrete pavers a backhoe and skid steer loader and all sorts of other stuff crammed into every nook and cranny of his yard including the front, he was a heck of a nice guy but it was a real eye sore. I am probably going to renew my insurance with the farm bureau this year for a cheaper rate and because they will issue me a policy for my tractors and old hay truck very cheaply as an add on. They busted me with this ordinance last year for a pickup I had parked in my driveway with a bad inspection sticker on it, it was registered and insured but not inspected, they gave me 45 days to get it inspected or remove it. As you can see my town council has a lot of time on their hands. T.J.

Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:14 pm

It sure would be pretty hard to farm if I couldn't drive on the road.
I only have two fields that I can go to without going on the road. I even have to drive down US 14 to get to some fields.
It sounds like out east they are pretty screwed up.
Don't you have "Right to farm" laws? :-)
I am willing to bet that the people who passed these laws think milk comes from a bottle and that American cheese is cheese. LOL

Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:55 pm

I am willing to bet that the people who passed these laws think . . .

I am willing to bet our professional political bandits don't think. At all.