Well, I didn't exactly plan to start the restore at this point in time, but as usual "the best laid plans of mice and men "
, have fallen to the wayside.
The girl's - my wife Emilie, her Mom, Aunt, my daughers and Alton's lovely bride Bertha had craft morning this morning and Alton graciously drove Bertha in for the day. Needless to say, Alton and I needed to have a few things to keep us busy.
After we chawed awhile about CubFest and it's needs, we went to inspect Jethro now that the snow is mostly gone and we can see him. Curiosity overcame us, the C-60 is stuck and we wanted to know why. So - off comes the hood (which is now only useful for a pattern to fix Ellie's hood - his in two pieces and has an alternator flap cut into it
). Then we pulled the plugs -- hmmmmm not so encouraging
Couldn't leave it there, so off comes the head
hmmmm don't look so good in there either, lot of crud on the top of the pistons. Pulled the valve cover - better but not a lot. Just discovered what an uncovered exhaust will do to a mill in the rain
Looks like the head just needs to be cleaned, not warped, not cracked. Block isn't cracked either as it was full of antifreeze. Water jackets look better, a little build up in there as well, but nothing serious. Rad was the next to come off - that one is just going to get flushed painted and stored until Jethro is ready for his water bottle again. It is in beautiful shape. Seems to be a rather new one.
Front bolster is in excellent shape, no cracks and no welds. Good news there. Same thing with the front end. Every thing is in good shape and will probably get taken apart, cleaned, painted and put back together. Good news as well.
One little thing that did not make me happy however. Some idjut
tried to pull the pulley and broke the ears as well as the rim on the pulley so both of them is junk. I guess that means a new timing cover for the ears. Thank God that Alton has CUB PARTS
So, all in all it was a very nice day for the first day of this restore project. Will probably end up replacing the valves and lifters and I am pretty sure that a punch job is in order - probably use 40 over pistons. They are already set aside!
The next job is to split the tractor. We took the governor off as well, it is seized so thats a rebuild - good thing, it is the object in the workshop at CubFest Northeast. The tranny is also the guineau pig for CubFest so I will separate the tranny from the finals and the torque tube sometime this week I hope.
Now that I am getting into it, I have a feeling it is going to only get better. I had a blast. Strange territory for a cabinetmaker though
It was sunny and warm today - you could actually see the snow melt