This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Difference in lo-boy steering

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35
Circle of Safety: Y

Difference in lo-boy steering

Postby Daniel H. » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:23 am

I'm getting ready to start restoring the front end now that the motor is done. My lo-boy is a 1955, with the same tie-rod set up as a regular. I noticed on some of the later ones the tie rods appear to cross each other at the center. Why was this changed and is it worth changing on mine? Is the only different part the center arm? Also, anyone know what the adjustable tie-rods cost? I'm sure they are high, but mine are bent and welded and I don't think they can be salvaged.
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:03 pm

Daniel,

Your steering arm is correct for a '55. They were changed to the offset type during '57 to correct the steering Ackerman effect because of the shortened wheelbase. The change made them toe out farther in a hard turn so that neither wheel had to skid. It isn't a very important change... don't worry about it unless you spend a lot of time maneuvering on pavement.

There is a third arm that I think was only used on highway mowers that wasn't offset either, but made the steering quicker, I think. I'm sure Jim knows. :lol:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:15 pm

The tie rods for the cross-over arm were slightly longer than the originals, which were in turn slightly longer than on a Farmall. I don't know if the highway mower steering arms made the steering any quicker, but they used real ball joint ends on the tie rods. I know of 8 different tie rods used on Cubs (not including the numbered Lo-Boys).

Return to “Farmall Cub”