This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What's painted IH RED and whats painted WHITE and BLACK ???

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

What's painted IH RED and whats painted WHITE and BLACK ???

Postby John Niekamp » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:03 pm

Now that I am getting all geared up to do this makeover on my 55 IH Cub LoBoy, I need to ask these questions.

What all is painted BLACK, the generator you can tell was black at one time, but the starter I could not tell a color. Is the distrubrator red also?

The grill is white and so was the belly mower, other than that I can't tell if anything else needs to be white. I think the fan blade was red also. The steering wheel spokes are black and I "think" the steering wheel shaft was red.

The rear rims appear to be painted in a aluminum or maybe originally they were hot dipped galvanized. We use this cold galvanizing compound where I work and it has an excellent rust protection. I'm not going for a show look, but like for it to appear like it was done correctly. No, sooner than the paint it dried, I hope that it will be out cutting grass/brush, but at least it will look good for a few hours, LOL :)

Is there a color chart that I can find out these questions?

Thanks for all you guys help.

John Niekamp

http://www.geocities.com/jniekamp/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:23 pm

Some of the electrical components were black when they came into the factory. By the time the tractor was painted, they were red. The only black things were unpainted (e.g. tires and steering wheel rim). Grill was red, along with about everything else. White wasn't used until late '56.

The rear rims were coated with something silverish (galvanized, cad plated ?? reports differ). A lot of restorations use silver paint. Cold galvanizing would probably look pretty good.

If it was a yellow Cub, all the red parts were yellow.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:26 pm

John,

I'm just sitting here watching a re-hash of the President's speech, so I'll take a crack at it.

If you're looking to be all original, there won't be any black paint at all. The only original black will be the tires, steering wheel rim, distributor cap, and wires that I can think of. The radiator core was not deliberately painted, so it mostly remained black as supplied, with red overspray.

You may prefer, as many of us do, to make the starter, generator and regulator black, but it won't be as they left the line. All mine are black... just because that's my preference.

The grille on the '55 was red... later changed to white during '56. The rear wheel centers were white as were the complete front wheels.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:59 pm

Cold galvanizing would probably look pretty good

I'm not familiar with this process. Is this something that is sprayed on?
Available at a paint dealer, hardware store?
HR

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:00 am

hr,

Cold galvanize usually comes in a rattle can. It's a zinc rich paint and works fairly well. Tower crews use it for field welds. It doesn't last as long as hot dip but will last a couple of years in most environments.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:37 am

Thanks,
I may try that process when I start cleaning up my '74. Darn thing runs so good though, I hate to jinx it. :lol:
HR

Return to “Farmall Cub”