This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Woods 42 Mower Lube - Overrunning Clutch

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jgalt
10+ Years
10+ Years
Skype Name: Skype Name

Woods 42 Mower Lube - Overrunning Clutch

Postby jgalt » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:22 pm

How do I lube the overrunning clutch? Just remove the single bolt on top, pull the Weather Cap, and put a squirt of 30W oil?

>> "Overrunning clutch permits quick gear shifting without waiting for blade to stop coasting."

I have to wait until the blades stop to shift - and I don't hear a 'clicking' when the clutch is depressed. I assume that this part is dry (like the rest of the lube points on my cub were!).

>> Grease the Blade Spindle every 24 hours of operation until some grease is forced out around the top of the shaft.

I've pumped a good bit of grease into the fitting, but don't see any grease on the outside - where should I look?

Thanks!!!
1956 Cub - Woods 42C Mower - 54 Blade - 144 Cultivators (Incomplete, needs restore) - Fast Hitch - F194 Plow w/ Colter - QTY 2 Sickle Mower Model 22 with pulley (complete - needs restoring) - Custom Fasthitch to Quick Hitch Adapter

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Woods 42 Mower Lube - Overrunning Clutch

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:30 am

jgalt,
I mow/cut stuff that the mower was not designed to cut and have stripped
out the over run clutch twice. The second time I welded the two piecse
together. That might be why yours does not click.

All I have ever done is grease the fitting below the pulley.

I think you did look at the manual but if not

this is the 42-c4 http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/OEM%20 ... index.html
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

jgalt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jgalt » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:41 pm

I downloaded all of the Woods series 42 manauls and the spindle I have is common to most of the 42 series mowers.

I took the spindle apart, and the overrunning clutch parts looked OK execpt for a bit of minor rust. There IS a lube hole on the top of the pulley body to oil the clutch. About the right size for the 3-N-1 oiler to fit. I cleaned and lubed the assy but can't say for sure if it's working correctly. And I'm not sure that mine has all the parts installed per the assy dwg. I'll have to do a bit more studying.

I'm glad I took the spindle apart, the DRIVE HEX part is cracked and gives some slop to the key. So I need to find a good price for the Drive Hex and replace the key as well. $54 is the only price I found on first search for a new Drive Hex (Woods P/N 3177).

I did go ahead and finish mowing my pastures with the cracked Drive Hex and it worked OK. I dropped the mower deck (for the first time!) and am moving on working on my blade assembly.

If anyone has a recommendation for good priced Woods Mower parts, let me know!
1956 Cub - Woods 42C Mower - 54 Blade - 144 Cultivators (Incomplete, needs restore) - Fast Hitch - F194 Plow w/ Colter - QTY 2 Sickle Mower Model 22 with pulley (complete - needs restoring) - Custom Fasthitch to Quick Hitch Adapter

jgalt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jgalt » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:41 am

Here is a photo of the cracked Drive Hex...

Would it be possible to weld this part? MIG and grind?

Does anyone know what size and type of key I would need? I need a shearable - soft metal key, right?

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:23 am

I have two older ones that I have not used yet, but both are fast hitch and neither have an over running clutch. I did look into buying one.... yikes $280

Sorry I can't be of more help.

The manuals are sorta hard to find, but they are all on the Woods Equipment web site in PDF (undermount mower).

http://www.woodsequipment.com/manuals.a ... 0_11629_2#
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:16 am

One of mine had a bad key way and I ground it down to take a wider key. (takes a lot of time and small grinder, steady hand, etc. but will work) All 3 of mine have the clutches, and I oil them once in a while! ----oil and grease are lots cheaper than new parts!--lol!! thanks; sonny

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:38 pm

I learned something from this thread, I have had 4 of the woods mowers and none of them seamed to have an over running clutch the one big thing I had against Woods mowers, so I got rid of all of them
Jim Turner

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:43 pm

OK the woods mowers that I had was the 59 inch and they don't have the over- running clutch, never owned a 42 I see this thread is only talking about the 42 Sorry about that
Jim Turner

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:35 am

Jgalt: do a good visual inspection of the spokes on your overrunning clutch - especially where they join the round part of the sheeve (sp?) They are known to have hair line cracks that are hard to see, and will come apart at the worst possible time. I was lucky that the parts sales person saw mine when I was ordering parts for my rebuild.
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

jgalt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jgalt » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:26 pm

SundaySailor wrote:Jgalt: do a good visual inspection of the spokes on your overrunning clutch - especially where they join the round part of the sheeve (sp?) They are known to have hair line cracks that are hard to see, and will come apart at the worst possible time. I was lucky that the parts sales person saw mine when I was ordering parts for my rebuild.

Do you mean the spokes on the pulley?

I'll check carefully, I didn't think about that and now would be the time to examine it.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:54 pm

Rick is a smart guy!

I just looked at the pic of your pulley:

See the spoke that has the figures 817.... on it? Look counter clockwise 2 spokes. Look at that spoke closely near the outer rim. Isn't that a hair line?????? Right where Rick said it would be. Maybe it is just me eyes, or maybe a trick of the camera, but it looks like a fine hair line fracture there... could be paint too.. but worth checking.

SundaySailor wrote:Jgalt: do a good visual inspection of the spokes on your overrunning clutch - especially where they join the round part of the sheeve (sp?) They are known to have hair line cracks that are hard to see, and will come apart at the worst possible time. I was lucky that the parts sales person saw mine when I was ordering parts for my rebuild.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

Postby SundaySailor » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:27 am

Jgalt: Right where Rudi is referring to is the weak spot(s) for the pulley/sheeve. You may have to check it with a magnifying glass to see any cracks, but mine were on all of the spokes right at the edge. The parts person saw it on mine before I did. He told me that if I continued to use it as is, it would literally come apart and could cause considerable damage to anyone in the area. Better off being cautious and know you have your safety covered.

Cheers!
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SundaySailor » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:51 am

One other thing I forgot to mention. Many of these Woods 42" mowers have been used for purposes other than what they were built/intended to be used for. Trace your long mounting brackets from the front of the mower towards the rear of the tractor mounting. Starting from the front: Check the welds at the front in every location. Mowers used for bush hogging will develop cracks along those welds and they are hard to see. This will affect the mower immensely causing similar problems to your key way problem and other things related to the sheeve.

This also makes the mower unbalanced, and can actually transmit that vibration to the rear of your Cub causing rear end problems there. Loose bolts, leaks, possibly even helping to crack the final drive housings. Again, I learned from experience the hard way. The PO of my Cub literally drove it into the ground. I wasn't knowledgeable enough at the time of purchase to know the tell tale signs of Cub abuse. But, that's water under the bridge now.

Once burned, twice learned.

clintmo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 26033
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
55 Cub

Postby clintmo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:58 pm

If anyone sees this, could someone direct me to where to apply oil/grease? Is it the small hole off center on the top?

CharlieK
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40165

Postby CharlieK » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:23 am

6 yo thread
sm hole is a vent
grease zerk is in front or to the side
get er done; life is good

Return to “Farmall Cub”