This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Leaking fuel shutoff

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
farmer.boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Leaking fuel shutoff

Postby farmer.boy » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:51 am

I have seen a few discussions about leaks around the fuel shutoff and gathered the best approach was to replace the whole assembly. Is the typical leak from the shut off stem? Mine leaks around the stem only when it is closed. I have removed it and cleaned the stem. It still leaks. I didn't take it (the stem assembly) apart as a method wasn't readily apparent. Am I wasting time by trying to effect a repair on the original and should I replace just the stem or the whole affair? Also, I noticed in the parts list there is supposed to be a screen filter. Mine is gone. I wonder how many of them are clogged up and causeing fuel problems for folks?
Stanley

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:54 am

There is a packing inside the nut on the shutoff that you cna tighten to keep it form leaking sometimes. If yours leaks around the stem when it is closed the shutoff is probably not closing all the way, in addition to the packing leaking. It may be time to consider a new shutoff.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:01 am

Stanley:

I agree with John. That is how I finally cured Ellie's chronic leaking. If your tractor is not going to be a show tractor but a working tractor, consider replacing the pet-cock with a ball valve. That is what I went to for Ellie.

I did keep the original and I am going to try to rebuild it. Carl has sent instructions for rebuilding the original pet-cock, and as soon as I can get it uploaded to the server, it will be available. Seems a simple enough restore as well.

Mind you, a new pet-cock from IH is about 18 bucks, but you can get them at a local fitting place for less than half that price. The ball valve and the adapter I needed cost me all of 3 or 4 bucks I think....
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:24 am

Keep in mind that many of the replacement assemblies are not the same design as the originals. Repair will not be the same. The originals use a back seating stem. They will leak when open if you don't open them all the way.

Whichever style, the stem is below the shutoff point. So if it leaks when shut off, it isn't shutting completely off.

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:37 pm

Hi All
I can say that I replaced my original one that was leaking for a NEW one. I got it from a supplier that is sometimes mentioned on this board and it was made in, well not USA and it leaked as bad as the original. I then bought one from case IH and it said made in USA. Paul K in N.H.

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:36 pm

I am still having fits with fuel bowls and shut-offs. I had ordered a new replacement for the '49 which came defective from supplier, the cheap metal had a small dent in it at the seat and would not shut off at all. He sent me a replacement , it was too tall of a glass bowl, more for an A or C. I finally managed to get a decent one to work with no leak, but you need a wrench to move the pet-cock. I can't wait to see what happens when I finally am ready for one on the '67 Lo.
I'm always keeping my eyes peeled for a good used fuel bowl that works proper.
Just Do It !

Return to “Farmall Cub”