This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO Grease Fitting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44039
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

PTO Grease Fitting

Postby treesitter » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:26 pm

As I was lubing up things on my 48, that I have only had for about a year, I noticed I completly ignored this fitting last year after I bought it. Anyway it looks as though it hasn't had a grease gun on it in a while. The manual says 2-3 pumps. I pumped a few extra since it looked so clean and didn't feel any resistance, even on the last pump.

Should I feel resistance, like a front end fitting? Should I put more in? I gave about 8 pumps.

Thanks, Andy
All she did when she first saw it was stand there looking at it, shaking her head,
while my buddy and I stood there drinking beer, grinning over my fine purchase.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:32 pm

treesitter,

The PTO bearing has a "shield" behind it to keep the grease near the bearing. It's not sealed at all. I wouldn't think you would feel much resistance putting in grease except the normal resistance from the fitting.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:32 pm

Treesitter - rather than pump it full of grease, run the pto with no load for a while to help distribute the grease. Then, when you feel it has had time to lube the entire bearing, add a couple more shots. You won't feel much resistance as there really isn't anything to push against.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Postby treesitter » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:37 pm

Thanks for the info.

Andy
All she did when she first saw it was stand there looking at it, shaking her head,

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:11 pm

Andy,

Under normal use that bearing gets lubed all it needs from the transmission. The fitting is there so you can lube the bearing when the PTO is used for long periods without the tractor moving... such as when doing belt work.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Postby treesitter » Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:46 pm

Thanks for the explaination. I guess it probably has all the grease it needs for sure now :D . That certianly explains why the fitting looks as though a grease gun hasn't been on it for some time.

May have more questions over the next couple days- trying to catch up on items I haven't delt with since I got the Cub. Although I always try to refer to the manuals and search this forum before I post a question. Just took the oil pan off last night as it has been leaking around the gasket since I got it. Up inside it looked pretty good and clean for 50 years old but the bottom of the pan was nasty.

Searched the forum for gear lube type earlier- sounds as though the 80w-90 I bought will suffice? Whats in it does not look like Hytran, just old gear lube. I assume my local tractor supply has the 90w specified in the manual (?) but the local auto parts didn't.

Thanks for all the help.

Return to “Farmall Cub”