This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Spark Plug Fowling

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
steel_cow
10+ Years
10+ Years

Spark Plug Fowling

Postby steel_cow » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:40 am

Hi all!

I have a question about spark plugs. It seems as though I am forever having to clean my spark plugs. After even only a day or two of plowing, enough carbon builds up that starting is either difficult or impossible. I reset my gap every time.

Any Ideas????

Thanks
It is always easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:06 am

Don't know what plugs you are using, but I prefer the Cahmpion D21 plugs. They are a hotter heat range and don't seem to foul as much. Also in my personal opinion, using a mid range (silver) gas seems to also reduce fouling.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

bobburke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07419

Postby bobburke » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:29 am

Try a hotter plug like John said and also the cub has no tstat to warm the engine in cooler weather. During the cool and cold month ( for snow plowing) I use a large garbage bag to block the grill to get the engine temp up. A couple clothes pins around the headlight post keep it in place. In winter I completly cover the grill and after alot of checking the coolant level it still has never reached the level it runs while mowing in the summer with the grill clear.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:32 am

I've had the same problem in the past. Can't say this will fix but ACDelco makes a hotter plug yet. P/N C87. Try that and high octane fuel.There still is a mystery here because some folks have the problem and some don't.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:13 am

There still is a mystery here because some folks have the problem and some don't.

Too rich a mixture adds to the problem, as does extended idling. While the Cub's carburetor has no direct high speed mixture control, lowering the float level will have a leaning effect. A restriction in the air cleaner will also cause a rich mixture. Service the air cleaner!
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”