This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lost throw in clutch assy

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Lost throw in clutch assy

Postby RedNed » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:51 pm

It looks like I have my first problem. Finally had nice weekend.Took the cub out and started to lose throw in clutch assy.New Bates throw out bearing,New lining on plate. It had no problem before with less than 1/2 hour on drive train. Bearing was set up right clearance. Adjustment plate was @ midpoint, had to move it to max. to get clutch to engage. It looks like my clutch lever got lose? If it did .Do you think I have to re-split or could I tighten from inspection hole?Thanks "Oh powerful cub masters"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:25 pm

Don't know what year cub you have, but only a few of the very early ones had an adjustment inside the toorque tube. Most of them have a bolt on the clutch pedal itself you loosen to adjust clutch travel. The earlier ones had a turnbuckle in the torque tube right at the throwout bearing that adjusted the clutch travel, but the way it was designed you had to take a pin out of the end to change it's setting. The bad news is, you are the 3rd person I have seen on the different boards in the last week with a problem with the Bates style throw-out bearing.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:13 pm

John , Yes I have been reading some of the problems on the Bates bearing throw out, Its a 1960 cub and the clutch lever petal attaches to the clutch adjusting plate with a bolt in the torque tube. When i press the petal(with my hand) with me looking in the inspection hole, I see the petal goes all the way to the stop before it totally engages. I wondering if I tighten that bolt really tight because that might of slipped due to the force of my foot.Like i said it gradually started to lose engagement. The wear on the bearing surface is normal with plenty of top land.Notice of groving of bearing surface.bell housing has grafite or moly dusting internally.

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:12 pm

Looks like a re-split .Bates throw out bearing tore up. Lost throw in the way the bearing was cocked.Lots of movement.As the pedal is being pushed.The clearance was set to GSS-1411 the bolt in the middle of the yoke was not that tight.The pressure plate was fine and the fingers were not distorted. Not happy. Hey John#*!* what was the other complaints on the bearing...........Looks like I'm going to original........this time. Look @all the practice I'm getting :roll:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:44 pm

Pretty much the same as yours, with the bearing grinding off, and metal shavings coming out the bottom of the torque tube. I'm worrying a little, because I got one of the same type for Cub-bud to put in Missy. If you get an orignal type, get it from a dealer, not an aftermarket. I tried to save a few dollars by buying an aftermarket one a few years ago, and ended up putting in 3 of them in 14 months before I went ahead and bought an IH one. Talk about getting practice. The job was a little easier since the cub had a hand lift rather than hydralic.

If you go back to the original graphite bearing, make sure the clutch fingers haven't become rough. If they are rough or scored, they will eat up one of the graphite bearings in a very short time.

Mr. Boone
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mr. Boone » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:25 am

I wish the people that have had a problem with the bearings on the cub bearing assy would let me know! If there is a problem with a bearing we want to know! I Also know that there has been some problems with the new pressure plate assembly. They were not set up to specs. Please call us at 1-800-248-2955 if there is a problem with any of the parts the we have sold.

Brian Kitch

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:48 am

Mr. Boone:

Wow! Your post impresses me, I mean that. It is nor often that a company representative would pop in and request customers to call! I am currently splitting my Cub Jethro and I KNOW that I need a new Throw Out Bearing. Also gonna need one for Ellie-Mae as well in the near future.

I have been reading the posts on TOB's with great interest as I am not too sure which style I should go with - the original graphite or the Bates bearing.

Also, is this bearing available in Canada, and who would one contact.

Also I am sure that RedNed will be pleased with the post as well!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:32 pm

Mr. Boone wrote:I wish the people that have had a problem with the bearings on the cub bearing assy would let me know! If there is a problem with a bearing we want to know! I Also know that there has been some problems with the new pressure plate assembly. They were not set up to specs. Please call us at 1-800-248-2955 if there is a problem with any of the parts the we have sold.

Brian Kitch
2 of the people that reported having problems are on this board, and should see your reply. The other one I've seen is on the ATIS board, and I've relayed your message to him. Thanks for the reply.

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:00 pm

Brian,Thank you for your reply. I am in know way sugesting that the bearing is at fault, there are a lot of things that can go wrong here.When I tear it down I will see. If I had a problem I would sure let you know. I fix aircraft for a living not tractors. As far as metal shavings I had none. The bearing on engagment after I started to lose adjustment was extremely rough. Rumbled in fact. Lot of grafite or moly dusting all in bell housing.The yoke bolt was not tight. the bearing seem to cock on depressing lever .The yoke looked good and theres a new rod in the bell housing.Fingers smooth.New clutch Plate. Old pressure plate (good shape)Plate nice and straight. Fly wheel great. Will keep you posted after I get this out. In aviation we really don"t jump the gun on any one part we look at the whole picture. But we are alerted to repeat problems.Please if anyone else having problem to please drop us a line. So we can take action. Once again Thank you. Bob

Return to “Farmall Cub”