This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mounting tires

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Shopp'n Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years

Mounting tires

Postby Shopp'n Cubs » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:20 am

Ok, so I'm getting ready to mount new tires. I will admit right off the bat I have never done this (other than a bike tire) :oops: . I have helped take OFF tires before and know the hassle that breaking the bead can be.

My first question is do you need to use a "rim cement" when mounting the new tires? I've seen this product at the local "Fleet Farm" but not sure what it is.

Any other pointers you all can throw my way when be helpful.

Thanks, Guy
'55 Cub, (but always shopp'n!) '02 Kub, '57 Ford 640

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:05 am

Guy:

The guys down at my local tire shop just use liquid soap! So does my CaseIH Dealer :roll: :)
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:19 pm

Many places use rubber lube or dish soap for a lubricant, but unles you are mounting the tires without tubes you don't need "rim cement" as a sealer. I've never tried it myself (not able to change tires), but I have seen several posts stating that large "C" clamps are a good way to break the beads loose.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44039
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Postby treesitter » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:09 pm

Just did mine last summer- for the first time ever. Soapy water worked fine. The big c-clamp was the method I used and it worked well. Search the forum for the info- I posted the same question when I was changing mine and got several responses so it should be in there somewhere. I remember it took a 12" clamp (which I picked up at Harbor Tool & Freight). I also remember taking the tires off the rims when it was all off the tractor but putting the new ones on was easier to put the rims on the tractor then mounting the tire. It wasn't too bad once I had the clamp. I beat the heck out of one of the old tires trying to break the bead but it didn't budge. Be sure there is not any fluid in the tires. You will also need about three good pry bars with nice smooth/rounded edges- spoon shapped would be best. I had one then bought two cheap short pry bars and put the grinder to them to round all the edges on the end. You'll need them to get the new tires on. Don't need cement but you should buy new tubes- which are pretty cheap.

Andy
All she did when she first saw it was stand there looking at it, shaking her head,
while my buddy and I stood there drinking beer, grinning over my fine purchase.

Shopp'n Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Shopp'n Cubs » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:44 pm

Thanks guy's. I kinda thought maybe the cement was for tubeless thanks for confirming John. The soapy water and c-clamp are good tips.

Hope to get at it soon, thought I would this weekend, but time is already filled up.

Thanks again
Guy
'55 Cub, (but always shopp'n!) '02 Kub, '57 Ford 640

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:26 pm

I do all my own tires at home: Cars , trucks, wagons, tractors, trailers and whatever else. I'm a little funny about using dish soap. Soap is highly corrosive to metal. Available at any quality automotive parts store is a non corrosive tire lube made for mounting tires. Ken tool makes some very nice inexpensive tire spoons that are about 8" long and can be used on golf cart to big tractor tires (need two).

treesitter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44039
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
73 Cub Cadet
48 C
49 M

Postby treesitter » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:47 am

As I was thinking about my last response, I had two things in reverse order- breaking the bead/tire removal is easier with the rim still on the tractor while mounting I did off the tractor. At least it worked for me.

I also read somewhere about the dish soap and metal corrosion but when I went to find/buy the tire lube the only store I found it was NAPA and they only had it in a huge container. I did not, however, search far and wide for it either. The container was so big, given the frequency I chage tires, I could have passed on the container of lube for genrations to come. So I just went with a diluted soap solution and used what was needed.
All she did when she first saw it was stand there looking at it, shaking her head,

while my buddy and I stood there drinking beer, grinning over my fine purchase.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:17 pm

I bought a tub roughly a gallon size, and yes it is lifetime supply butt the cost wasn't extreme, maybe $20.00+ and considering how much I've used it I'm satisfied it was worth it. Yrs ago I had a real bad experience with soap and metal. Taught me a lesson first hand. The big issue who has to deal with it later on. A tire shop mounts them up and see ya later. If the paint on the rim is good then your OK. If the paint is worn or chipped off then look out. Rust city for the next guy.

Dogman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dogman » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:20 pm

I always use waterless hand cleaner that how I we put windshields in when they had a rubber seal (use the plain kind not the one with grit)

Return to “Farmall Cub”