This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rust Spots on Hood

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Rust Spots on Hood

Postby Paul_NJ » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:46 pm

After stripping the hood/tank of my 51 Cub (oven cleaner and pressure wash) I notice there are lots of rust spots, from pea to quarter size. While they're not really deep, their surface is pretty rough and I'm sure they'll project through the primer and finish if I don't handle them properly. Do I grind them first to smooth the roughness? Do I skim coat over them with body filler? Or glazing putty? I saw someone mention polyester filler spray. Or will the primer, after several coats with sanding inbetween, take care of levelling the rust spots? And recommended procedures would sure be welcome! Thanks
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:59 pm

Paul, I'd recomend a light sand-blasting to remove the rust and then work with the high-build primer.
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:16 pm

For small rust areas I use a Cup-Wire-Wheel in my hand held angle grinder and it does a good job cleaning it down to clean shine`y metal.
Then came Bronson

Return to “Farmall Cub”