This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carb rockshaft play

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kevin Wisniewski
10+ Years
10+ Years

Carb rockshaft play

Postby Kevin Wisniewski » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:56 am

Last year was my first year of having my cub mow. In the fall last year it seemed to loose power. I thought I would just tune her up this spring and the power would be back. Well I checked the points clean not pitted and at the proper gap. Spark plugs are burning white. cap and rotor are in good shape and timming was on. I remember reading about the govener rockshaft and JB weld or lock tight. My question. How much turning play should there be between number 30 and 8? I'm thinking my key number 6 is worn or has worn number 8. The play may be preventing the lower rpm from opening up the throtle as full as it should. Is there a message / link that describes the repar/fix. Can I do this repair w/out removing the govener? I just need to budget my time when I do this repair. If I got to take off the govener I would like to take off the front of the tractor so that I can see what I am doing. As many of you cubbers know this will turn into a even bigger snowball. While I have the front off of the tractor it's time for me to buy a bearing spliter and take a wack at that front engine seal. And So on and so on. One small worn key may turn into a major all out repair project. Who knows by the end of it I may be buying another cub to mow with while I repair the one I have. It's so addictive. Thanks for your help in advance.
Wiz "Beware the Fury of a Patient Man"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:28 am

There should be no play there. The key may be worn, but on mine it was the shaft had actually worn. The repair is easy. Disconnect the link to the carb and then remove the 2 bolts holding the bracket (5) at the left side of the engine. The rockshaft will then slide out to the left. Use a cotton swab or something similiar with some solvent to clean the inside of the fitting -8. If the shaft is badly worn make a bushing from shim stock (mine is made from an aluminum can). Put of drop of Loctite or JB weld on the shaft and reinsert it. I prefer using the medium strenght Loctite to JB Weld since if I need to remove it someday it is easier to do. Let it cure for a while before testing or using it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:47 am

My LoBoy had so much play in the rockshaft that the throttle could go from closed to full open without moving the governor spring. It wouldn't go up an incline in any gear except first. Running a mower? No way!

I used JB Weld to fix mine because of the severe wear to all the components. Along with a carburetor rebuild, what an incredible difference in performance!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:58 am

Kevin:

Go to the manual server. Carl's article on carbs has just been uploaded. It should answer a lot of questions.

[url=http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Maintenance%20Tips%20and%20Techniques/Lurker%20Carl's%20Cub%20Carb%20Fixes/index.html"]Lurker Carl's Cub Carb Fixes[/url]
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Kevin Wisniewski
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kevin Wisniewski » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:10 pm

Thanks for the info that should really Help. I'm wooried now that once I fix this my govener may be adjustment. We shall see.
Wiz "Beware the Fury of a Patient Man"

Return to “Farmall Cub”